sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Michael Chandler says Conor McGregor fight is OFF as UFC star names 'replacement fighter' in response
Home>MMA>UFC
Updated 10:16 6 Aug 2024 GMT+1Published 09:42 6 Aug 2024 GMT+1

Michael Chandler says Conor McGregor fight is OFF as UFC star names 'replacement fighter' in response

Chandler and McGregor were due to fight at UFC 303 before the Irishman pulled out through injury.

Rory O'Callaghan

Rory O'Callaghan

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Michael Chandler has suggested his fight with Conor McGregor could be off, prompting an angry response from the former two-weight UFC champion.

McGregor, 36, has not fought since breaking his leg against Dustin Poirier at UFC 264 back in 2021.

He was expected to make his long-awaited return to the octagon against Chandler at UFC 303 on June 29, only to pull out of the event in Las Vegas after breaking his toe.

A new date for the fight is yet to be announced, with doubts growing over whether it will ever take place.

Advert

Last month, UFC president Dana White admitted he is unsure when McGregor will make his return and said he was "not even thinking" about it.

"Conor, I don't know when he will be back," White told TNT Sports ahead of UFC 304 in Manchester.

"When Conor is ready to go he'll let me know so I'm not even thinking about it or talking about Conor right now."

Chandler, 38, has now suggested the McGregor fight could be dead in the water.

In a fiery exchange between the two men on X, Chandler posted: "Nevermind guys… I think it's time I finally admit the fight is off.

"He's still in stage 2 of the 7 of grief pertaining to his career being over. Figured he'd be closer to 5 by now. Godspeed."

McGregor hit back by reaffirming his commitment to returning to the UFC in December, albeit potentially against a different opponent.

McGregor has not fought in the UFC since 2021 (Image: Getty)
McGregor has not fought in the UFC since 2021 (Image: Getty)

"My man, it was an abysmal choice for fighter. Be real with yourself, please. Horrific! And yes I look forward to December! It was going to be big bear originally for my camp but now it will be Colorado Springs instead! Better facilities," he posted.

"Where the US Olympic athletes train! I arrive summer end. I will be ready for what you bring and yes you will be doing your backflip alright but it will from of the speed and accuracy of my back hand that will be making you flip.

"I'm going to flip you like a pancake."

McGregor then went on to suggest he could look to replace Chandler with BMF champion Max Holloway.

In another response to Chandler's post, McGregor wrote: "? lol ok lil bro. Swapped out handy. @BlessedMMA what you at December? The real bmf, you know."

McGregor and Holloway previously fought at UFC Fight Night 26 in 2013, with the Irishman winning via the judges' scorecards.

Featured Image Credit: Getty

Topics: UFC, Conor McGregor, Michael Chandler, Dana White, Injury

Rory O'Callaghan
Rory O'Callaghan

Rory O'Callaghan is Editorial Lead at SPORTbible. He has previously worked for Sky Sports News, MailOnline and Reach covering football, cricket, boxing and MMA.

X

@rory_ocallaghan

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

20 days ago
21 days ago
  • Getty
    20 days ago

    Ariel Helwani left stunned as former UFC star admits wild pre-fight superstition that his children 'don't like'

    Ariel Helwani was in disbelief as the MMA fighter revealed the never-before-seen ritual.

    MMA
  • Stacy Revere/Getty Images/Stungunkim
    20 days ago

    New Conor McGregor sparring footage leaks as comeback fight date and opponent confirmed

    The former UFC champion is back in training camp following the confirmation of his comeback fight.

    MMA
  • Chris Unger/Zuffa LLC
    21 days ago

    Ariel Helwani confirms Conor McGregor return as date and opponent named

    The former UFC champion will finally make his return to the octagon against an unexpected opponent.

    MMA
  • Getty
    21 days ago

    UFC fans convinced Paddy Pimblett has leaked his next opponent

    The Liverpudlian has not fought since losing to Justin Gaethje in January.

    MMA
  • UFC boss Dana White didn't hesitate when asked if MMA should be an Olympic sport
  • Conor McGregor's four-word response to Dana White firing UFC fighter immediately after win in Manchester
  • Conor McGregor 'confirms' new date for Michael Chandler fight after Dana White talks
  • Ariel Helwani issues major update on Conor McGregor vs Michael Chandler at UFC 303