• Football
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • Home
  • Football
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • Lionel Messi
    • Cristiano Ronaldo
    • EA FC 25
    • Wrexham
  • Boxing
    • Tyson Fury
    • Anthony Joshua
    • Oleksandr Usyk
    • Mike Tyson
    • Jake Paul
    • Logan Paul
  • UFC
    • Dana White
    • Conor McGregor
    • Khabib Nurmagomedov
    • Jon Jones
    • Paddy Pimblett
    • Joe Rogan
  • Other Sport
    • Athletics
    • Formula 1
    • MMA
    • Motorsport
    • NBA
    • Darts
    • NFL
    • Snooker
    • Wrestling
    • Tennis
    • Cricket
    • Golf
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • UNILAD
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube
Paulo Costa says UFC 'lied' to Robert Whittaker after UFC Perth bout is cancelled

Home> MMA

Published 01:18 21 Dec 2022 GMT

Paulo Costa says UFC 'lied' to Robert Whittaker after UFC Perth bout is cancelled

The Brazilian has maintained that the fight had never been official since it was first announced, and had slammed the UFC for promoting it.

Jayden Collins

Jayden Collins

The scheduled blockbuster UFC Perth bout between Aussie star Robert Whittaker and Paulo Costa has officially been called off.

The former middleweight champion confirmed the news on social media after rumours began to swirl that the Brazilian had never put pen to paper on the contract.

Whittaker told his fans: “G’day everyone. I’m sure you’ve seen the media and all the rumours going around right now about the Perth card and it’s very upsetting to say they’re true.

“The fight with Costa has fallen apart. The UFC tried everything in their power to get him to the fight. They gave him the new contract, from what I understand, to take the fight and he still didn’t take the fight.

“The Perth fight is not happening. They’re looking to reschedule it in March [or] April.”

Advert

Costa has maintained that the fight had never been official since it was first announced, and had slammed the UFC for promoting it.

He then continued to plead his innocence in the situation claiming that the MMA promotion was only promoting the fight to sell tickets.

Costa tweeted: “Guys sending me this, I feel sad for Robert because the UFC didn’t tell him the truth lol, you don’t deserve this.

“Bro, sorry I won’t fight you in Perth. UFC [was] posting this (Robert vs Costa) just to sell tickets, you need to realise that.

Advert

“They didn’t pay me, I’m out! I’m not joking.”

ESPN reported the news on Tuesday (December 20), saying that a contract between Costa and UFC had been discussed but nothing had yet been signed off.

Whittaker commented on the news, saying: “This is very upsetting, this is very upsetting.

Advert

“I’m sorry to all the friends, fans and family that are heading over there to watch me do work. It’s out of my hands. I’m upset.

“I was prepared to train through Christmas, to train through New Year’s, to put in the work. I’m already so deep into my camp, everyone knows I train, my camps are quite long.

“I’m already so deep into my camp and work and I wanted to take the family out, I want to go on holiday after the fight and buy the kids some toys and earn some money, pay the rent but all that has been put on the back burner and pushed back.

“It’s upsetting for me. It’s upsetting for me, it’s upsetting for you. I’m just going to try my hardest front of me in that first quarter, I’m going to get in there and do my work.”

Advert

Whittaker could instead opt to fight Jared Cannonier at UFC 284 who put up his hand to step in following a win over Sean Strickland.

However, from his public message, it looks as if he’s intent to fight Costa later in the year.

Featured Image Credit: Px Images / Alamy. Robert Whittaker/Twitter.

Topics: UFC, MMA, Robert Whittaker, Australia

Jayden Collins
Jayden Collins

Jayden Collins is a Journalist at SPORTbible. He has worked across multiple media platforms in areas such as sport, music, pop culture, entertainment and politics. He is part of the editorial team for LADbible Australia.

Advert

Advert

Advert

Choose your content:

3 days ago
4 days ago
7 days ago
  • KickKick
    3 days ago

    Brendan Schaub facing backlash from fans over comments about Raja Jackson and Syko Stu incident

    The former MMA fighter has given his take on the incident.

    MMA
  • Happy Punch/XHappy Punch/X
    3 days ago

    Rampage Jackson speaks out on Syko Stu attack as revealing comment made about son Raja

    The former UFC fighter has given his honest take on the current situation.

    MMA
  • Instagram/@TheNotoriousMMAInstagram/@TheNotoriousMMA
    4 days ago

    UFC fans spot strange detail in Conor McGregor photo with David Beckham

    UFC fans were quick to react to Conor McGregor's picture with David Beckham, making the very same observation.

    MMA
  • Conor McGregor Conor McGregor
    7 days ago

    UFC fans claim Conor McGregor 'embarrassed' himself after seeing what he did in viral training footage

    Conor McGregor has been slammed by UFC fans.

    MMA
  • UFC fighter admits he 'lied' after being fired by Dana White just weeks after debut
  • Dana White immediately fires fighter hours before UFC 317 as fight cancelled
  • UFC left stunned as main event cancelled just minutes before fight time with fighter transported to hospital
  • UFC 319 suffers major setback as two fights CANCELLED within 24 hours