
Christian Horner may finally make his Formula One return as a 12th team could be introduced to the grid.
After leading the team to eight drivers’ championships and six constructors’ titles, Horner was sacked by Red Bull in July 2025 following a turbulent 18-month period that ultimately led to him being forced out.
A series of disappointing results on the track, questions over Max Verstappen's future and an accusation of inappropriate behaviour by a female employee put an end to Horner's Red Bull career after two decades with the team.
As part of his exit from Red Bull, Horner's contract prevented him from joining a rival team until a non-compete clause expired on May 8, raising questions about when we may see him return to the sport, and with what team.
Advert
Unsurprisingly several teams have been linked with the Englishman, with the likes of Aston Martin, Alpine and Audi all believed to have expressed interest in appointing him.
However, it's now been reported that Horner's return may be closer than ever, but it's not with a team currently on the F1 grid.
Last month, BYD vice-president Stella Li announced that the Chinese manufacturer is interested in starting an F1 project after a meeting with F1 CEO Stefano Domenicali in Shanghai.
“We are always in close contact,” she said following the meetings.
“I like Formula 1 because it’s about passion and culture, and people dream of being in Formula 1.”
It is believed that BYD are strongly considering making a move to become the 12th team on the Formula One grid just months after Cadillac became the sport's 11th team ahead of the 2026 season.
And should they officially join the sport, it is believed that they could do so under the guidance of Horner, who has reportedly held a series of meetings with Li.
Horner is believed to have travelled to meet with Li in Canne, France for several meetings that have left the BYD vice-president "very excited” about the chance to join Formula 1.
FIA president comments on Christian Horner's F1 return
The news comes just days after FIA president Mohammed Ben Sulayem expressed his hopes that Horner would soon return to the F1 grid. “people will come to him” due to his impressive record in the sport.
"Who can remove Christian Horner's name from motorsport and Formula 1? You can't. It was always successful. But success also has enemies, as we know," Sulayem said.
“It was always successful, but success also has enemies as we know.
“If you ask me, we miss him in this sport and I do. I keep in touch with him. He was good for the team, good for the sport.
“We would welcome him back and someone like him will always find his way.
“I always say to him: ‘You talk too much, but you don’t mean anything bad.’
“He has a clean heart – and he wants to come back.
“As I said, I talk to him regularly and I feel he will be back.
“When he comes back, it will be like he went for a vacation.”
Topics: Christian Horner, Motorsport, Formula 1