Atletico Madrid defender Mario Hermoso tried to fight fans after his side's disappointing 2-0 defeat at home to Villarreal.
Yeremy Pino and Gerard Moreno were both on target as Unai Emery finally recorded a victory over at the 20th attempt.
The hosts had Nahuel Molina sent off to cap off a seriously bad day at the office. But worst was to come post-match as Hermoso completely lost his head.
Many Atleti players were going through a warm down, including Hermoso, who was an unused substitute for the loss.
Some fans had stayed in the stadium and a fair amount vented their frustrations after a first defeat of the season.
Hermoso took issue with what was being said and in footage which circulated on social media, was seen angrily confronting his own supporters.
The Spaniard genuinely tried to enter the stands and had to be stopped by a combination of police, staff and teammates.
Mario Hermoso was fighting with out fans? Get him out of my club man, may he never wear our beautiful shirt again.— FV 🇺🇾🇦🇷🧉 (@Football_FV) August 21, 2022
It's said that left-back Renan Lodi took a different route and instead responded to criticism by brandishing his middle finger.
🚨| There has been an incident between the Atleti fans and some players.— Atletico Universe (@atletiuniverse) August 21, 2022
• Mario Hermoso went to the stands and the police had to go to avoid a confrontation with several fans.
• Renan Lodi denied them with his finger.
Hermoso came through the ranks at Atleti's rivals Real but only got as far as the B team before moving to Espanyol in 2017.
He joined Atleti in 2019 and has gone on to make 95 appearances the club, winning La Liga in 2020/21.
Atleti will be looking to bounce back next week when they travel to play Valencia at the Mestalla on Monday 29 August.
Featured Image Credit: Image: Twitter/@benzorcde
- Villarreal Lead 2-0 At Half Time As The Shock Comeback Is On
- Koke Took A Selfie With Atletico Madrid Fan Before Whipping In Corner And Friendlies Have Peaked
- Villarreal Boss Slams Referee For "Scandalous" Decision In Champions League Loss
- Atletico Madrid Goalkeeper Antonio Gomis Bizarrely Makes His Senior Debut As An OUTFIELD Player