To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders
Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications
| Last updated
That is according to Darren Bent, who believes the aforementioned Newcastle duo would “probably be the last” to be sold in a mass clearout.
The Public Investment Fund (PIF) spearheaded the consortium that ended Mike Ashley's controversial 14-year reign at Newcastle.
And the Saudi Arabian-backed takeover has led to growing speculation over which players will be axed and question marks over the fate of manager Steve Bruce.
Newcastle’s new owners have already been linked with a raft of new signings, including Wilfried Zaha, Aaron Ramsey and James Tarkowski.
The expected cash injection from Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman’s PIF has even led to Harry Kane and Kylian Mbappe being linked with Newcastle.
Former Aston Villa and Sunderland striker Bent now believes that Newcastle players, aside from Wilson and Saint-Maximin, should be concerned over their futures.
2⃣ "Two players would probably feel at ease."— talkSPORT (@talkSPORT) October 8, 2021
✅ "Would be Callum Wilson, and Saint-Maximin."
❌ "The rest of the team.... You can't sit second from bottom, and think to yourself, 'I'll be alright.'"
Darren Bent thinks a lot of #NUFC players should be worried post takeover. pic.twitter.com/RoLdU6VCm4
“The two players who will be at ease are Callum Wilson and Saint-Maximin,” he told talkSPORT.
“They would probably be the last to go but everyone else [should be worried].
“You look at their place in the league table, how could the players in a team that is second from bottom think they’re alright?
“I don’t think there’s a rush with the goalkeepers [Karl] Darlow and [Martin] Dubravka, but the rest of the team won’t be thinking ‘I think I’m alright’ with the team second from bottom.”
Amanda Staveley, who helped broker the PIF’s successful Newcastle takeover bid, says the expectations are for the club to challenge for the Premier League title.
Bruce is expected to hold talks with the club’s owners next week, with Rangers boss Steven Gerrard heavily linked with the Magpies.
Trevor Sinclair claims that there is a more “ideal” candidate for Newcastle than Gerrard, but Bent has backed the Liverpool legend to succeed Bruce.
“It’s a strange one because he doesn’t have that much experience but he did a fantastic job at Rangers last year,” he said.
“He’s a Premier League legend and he’s on the up in terms that he’s quite new in his managerial career and has had success already.
“I think Newcastle fans would be happy with that.”
Featured Image Credit: PA
Chosen for YouChosen for You
Most Read StoriesMost Read