"No chance..." - Fabrizio Romano says one thing won't happen with Jordan Henderson and Saudi Arabia
| Last updated
Fabrizio Romano has provided an update on Jordan Henderson's proposed move to the Saudi Pro League.
Reports claim Henderson could quadruple his salary to £700,000 per week if he moves to the Saudi Pro League - as a number of high-profile European players have done in recent weeks.
Al Ettifaq are reportedly prepared to offer Henderson a three-year deal and the England international is said to have already 'verbally agreed' to the contract.
Henderson is not the only Liverpool midfielder being linked with a move to a Saudi Arabia, with Fabinho also the subject of interest from Al Hilal.
The Saudi club are said to be preparing a £40m bid for the Brazilian, who still has three years left on his deal at Anfield.
Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp will be reluctant to part ways with two of his most experienced players without signing replacements.
Romano rules out free transfer
There had been suggestions from other outlets that Liverpool may allow Henderson to leave for free, or a low fee, as thanks for the midfielder's long service to the club.
But transfer expert Fabrizio Romano insists this won't be the case.
"Al Ettifaq and Liverpool are still discussing about fee for Jordan Henderson deal. Negotiations ongoing," tweeted Romano.
"No chance for free transfer as initially requested by Al Ettifaq. But talks are now ongoing in order to find compromise between all the parties."
Henderson has travelled to Germany for Liverpool's pre-season training camp, but Fabinho was not part of the squad as the speculation over his future continues.
Liverpool face German second division side Karlsruher in their opening pre-season friendly on Wednesday.