sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Premier League make decision on Bournemouth vs Luton fixture
Home>Football>Premier League
Updated 17:54 20 Dec 2023 GMTPublished 17:45 20 Dec 2023 GMT

breaking

Premier League make decision on Bournemouth vs Luton fixture

Bournemouth's game against Luton was abandoned following Tom Lockyer collapsing on the pitch.

Josh Lawless

Josh Lawless

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

The Premier League has announced its decision on the abandoned Bournemouth vs Luton Town fixture last week.

In the second half, the game was abandoned following Luton captain Tom Lockyer collapsing on the pitch.

Manager Rob Edwards ran onto the turf and both sets of players were taken down the tunnel.

After receiving medical treatment, Lockyer was stretchered off and taken to hospital where he was stable after it was communicated he had suffered a cardiac arrest.

Advert

The scoreline was 1-1 at the time, with both Elijah Adebayo and Dominic Solanke on target.

Image: Getty
Image: Getty

And it's now been confirmed that the result is null and void, with the fixture starting from zero seconds on the clock when it is replayed later in the season.

A statement from the Premier League said: "Following the on-field medical emergency involving Luton Town FC player Tom Lockyer, the Premier League Board has decided last Saturday’s AFC Bournemouth v Luton Town FC fixture will be replayed in full.

"The game will be rescheduled for later in the season, with a date to be confirmed following consultation with relevant parties.

"The decision to abandon the match in the 59th minute was made collectively between the match officials, players, managers from both clubs and the Premier League.

"The League would like to thank the medical staff and all those involved for their swift actions in responding to what was an extremely upsetting situation for everyone. We wish Tom a continued recovery and our thoughts are with him, his family and all those at Luton Town FC."

Image: Getty
Image: Getty

Additionally, FPL have confirmed that points from the game will be voided.

They said: "Following the announcement @afcbournemouth @LutonTown will be replayed in full at a later date, Gameweek 17 will now be closed and the game will update shortly.

"Points achieved by players in the original fixture will be voided. Normal auto-subs and vice-captain rules apply."

Both sets of players were applauded by fans at the Vitality Stadium when the game was postponed due to the incident.

Featured Image Credit: Getty

Topics: Premier League, Luton Town, Bournemouth

Josh Lawless
Josh Lawless

Josh is a sports journalist who specialises in football and WWE. He has been published by Curzon Ashton FC, Late Tackle, Manchester City FC, The Mirror, Read Man City and Manchester Evening News. He provides coverage of professional wrestling and has covered two WrestleMania events for SPORTbible.

X

@joshlawless_

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

6 mins ago
2 hours ago
  • Getty
    6 mins ago

    Man City decide on first two signings under Enzo Maresca as private talks held

    Maresca is set to replace Pep Guardiola as Manchester City manager.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    2 hours ago

    Liverpool launch £92m raid for two players from the same club

    Arne Slot is clearly being backed by the board again as he launches another summer of spending

    Football
  • Getty Images
    2 hours ago

    Xabi Alonso prepared to unleash 6ft 7in Chelsea giant yet to play a game for the club

    The new Chelsea boss is wasting no time in making a massive change to the squad.

    Football
  • Getty
    2 hours ago

    'I've been told...' - Man City to lose third player in mass exodus amid Pep Guardiola exit rumours

    Guardiola is expected to leave Man City at the end of the season - and several more players could follow him out of the door.

    Football
  • Bournemouth issue statement on Alex Jimenez after social media posts
  • Man Utd Make Fixture Request to Premier League as Club Raise Concerns
  • Liverpool fans agree with Jamie Carragher assessment on disappointing player vs Bournemouth
  • Premier League have three options to replay Bournemouth vs Luton after Tom Lockyer cardiac arrest