sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
'Source' of controversial Nottingham Forest social media post revealed as FA investigate
Home>Football>Premier League
Updated 13:51 24 May 2024 GMT+1Published 19:43 21 Apr 2024 GMT+1

'Source' of controversial Nottingham Forest social media post revealed as FA investigate

Nottingham Forest's bizarre tweet criticising VAR hasn't gone unnoticed.

Will Evans

Will Evans

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

The 'source' of a controversial Nottingham Forest social media post has been revealed as the FA set to investigate.

Forest who are in the midst of a relegation battle in the Premier League criticised VAR official Stuart Attwell on their X account after three penalty decisions were turned down during their 2-0 defeat to Everton.

The club felt so hard done by that they even publicly accused the VAR official of being a Luton fan and said they would 'consider their options'.

Three extremely poor decisions - three penalties not given - which we simply cannot accept.

We warned the PGMOL that the VAR is a Luton fan before the game but they didn’t change him. Our patience has been tested multiple times.

NFFC will now consider its options.

— Nottingham Forest (@NFFC) April 21, 2024

They now sit just one point outside of the drop zone ahead of relegation rivals Luton with four games of the season remaining.

The source of the post has also now been revealed by TalkSport's chief football correspondent Alex Crook.

Advert

In his own post on X he said: "I understand the tweet was directed by the Marinakis family. Feel sorry for the comms team having to post it."

Forest owner Evangelos Marinakis hasn't been short of attention given his tendency to get involved and speak publicly on actions directly related to the first team.

A report last month claimed that Marinakis had to be removed from the tunnel by security after chasing referee Paul Tierney down the tunnel.

An eye-witness said the incident happened after a controversial 99th minute goal for Liverpool which saw beat Forest 1-0.

Image: Getty
Image: Getty

It's safe to say that Forest have had a rollercoaster of a season having also recently been deducted four-points for breaching the Premier League's profit and sustainability rules.

The FA have now confirmed that they will launch an investigation into the social media post on grounds of bringing the game's integrity into dispute.

Forest's post was blasted by Sky Sports' pundit Jamie Carragher who said: "Stuart Attwell and Anthony Taylor have had a horrific day today. Awful and they should be rightly criticised for that, and that could have real implications for Forest.

"I get the frustration. But what I have just read there on social media, that is like a fan in a pub. That is embarrassing from Nottingham Forest."

Featured Image Credit: Getty

Topics: Nottingham Forest, Premier League, Everton, Luton Town

Will Evans
Will Evans

Sports journalist with experience writing for local and national titles.

X

@WillEvo20

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

an hour ago
2 hours ago
3 hours ago
13 hours ago
  • Getty
    an hour ago

    Real Madrid 'considering' Sunderland player as first transfer of Jose Mourinho era

    Jose Mourinho is reportedly willing to get rid of a number of big stars but could do some shopping in the Premier League.

    Football
  • Getty
    2 hours ago

    EFL Championship play-off final sees Wembley Stadium make historic stand naming decision

    Wembley Stadium will make history this weekend, with a major change made for a good cause.

    Football
  • Getty
    3 hours ago

    Enzo Maresca set to raid Chelsea at Man City as talks held with 'desired' transfer target

    Enzo Maresca is already looking to make his mark at Manchester City as he prepares to replace Pep Guardiola.

    Football
  • Liverpool FC/Getty
    13 hours ago

    ‘That’s never going to happen to me again’: Mo Salah’s darkest moment explained by fellow Liverpool legend

    This almost broke the Egyptian.

    Football
  • Nottingham Forest could be in huge trouble after astonishing social media post following Everton defeat
  • Jamie Carragher finds out about Nottingham Forest VAR tweet live on Sky Sports and dismantles the entire club
  • Nottingham Forest send out Mark Clattenburg to explain why owner is 'upset' with late decision vs Liverpool
  • Anthony Elanga names forgotten Man Utd starlet as 'most underrated' footballer he's played with