The 34-year-old Argentine forward’s legendary exploits have rightfully solidified his place as one of the best footballers the sport has ever seen.
Messi secured an incredible club-record 35 trophies during his prolific playing career with Barcelona, which included 10 La Liga titles and four Champions Leagues.
And the Barcelona legend ended his silverware drought on the international stage last summer with Argentina’s triumph at the 2021 Copa America.
Messi is also the outright Ballon d'Or record holder -- two ahead of on-pitch rival Ronaldo -- and bagged France Football’s 2021 edition of the award for the seventh time.
Morgan, who is close pals with Ronaldo, revealed in his column for The Daily Mail the 10 legendary athletes who would make his ‘sporting GOATs.’
The former Good Morning Britain co-host admitted that there are “many candidates” for football’s GOAT and mentioned the likes of Messi, Pele and Diego Maradona.
However, Morgan claimed that five-time Ballon d'Or winner Ronaldo is “above them all” and is the “best real footballer to ever lace his boots.”
The 56-year-old outspoken TV broadcaster also snubbed Tampa Bay Buccaneers superstar Tom Brady from his rankings.
Brady secured a record-breaking seventh Super Bowl honour after the Buccaneers defeated the Kansas City Chiefs at the Raymond James Stadium last February.
Morgan hailed the 44-year-old NFL quarterback as a “magnificent athlete” and praised his “extraordinary work ethic.”
However, the former Daily Mirror editor insisted that NFL legend Joe Montana would be the GOAT of American football ahead of Brady.
“For me, Brady's not even the greatest NFL star of all time -- that accolade goes to Joe Montana. Even Brady has admitted that Montana ‘is in a league of his own,’” Morgan wrote.
So, posted below are Morgan’s top 10 picks for sporting GOATs.
10. Ayrton Senna (racing driver)
9. Wayne Gretzky (ice hockey)
8. Michael Phelps (swimmer)
7. Roger Federer (tennis)
6. Tiger Woods (golf)
5. Cristiano Ronaldo (football)
4. Usain Bolt (sprinter)
3. Muhammad Ali (boxing)
2. Michael Jordan (basketball)
1. Sir Don Bradman (cricket)
Featured Image Credit: PA
- The five best sporting GOATs of all time were ranked on ESPN, Stephen A Smith did NOT agree with No 1 pick
- Lionel Messi And Tom Brady Both Snubbed In Top 10 Sporting GOATs
- Ronnie O'Sullivan Names His Seven-Man Sporting GOATs List, Leaves Out Huge Superstar In His Picks
- The 30 Richest Athletes In The World In 2022 Have Been Revealed, Lionel Messi Only Ranks No 8