Danny Welbeck’s Brighton Equaliser Leaves Chelsea’s Title Hopes In Tatters
Welbeck replaced Alexis Mac Allister in the 80th minute and brilliantly nodded home Marc Cucurella's cross to leave the Blues five points behind Manchester City, with Pep Guardiola's side currently leading Brentford 1-0.
Romelu Lukaku's controversial 28th-minute opener looked to have given Thomas Tuchel's men all three points - a goal which could have been disallowed with many claiming that the Belgian used his elbow to shrug off Neal Maupay.
WELBECK LEVELS IT :astonished:
With just minutes to go, the Brighton striker nods home brilliantly! #PLonPrime #CHEBHA pic.twitter.com/0w3mTy9SSV
- Amazon Prime Video Sport (@primevideosport) December 29, 2021
But Welbeck struck late on to claim a draw, in what was an impressive away performance from Graham Potter's side in west London.
The Seagulls have now moved into the top half of the table, and follows on from their first win in 12 games against Brentford on Boxing Day.
It's a result which also has big ramifications in the Premier League title race, with City on course to go eight points clear at the top of the table.
- Danny Welbeck tipped to be named in England's World Cup squad
- Chelsea troll Brighton with playful Marc Cucurella transfer announcement
- N'Golo Kante Thought He Fouled Brighton Player And Ran Back Into Position In Wholesome Moment
- Brighton appoint Adam Lallana as interim player-coach after Graham Potter's departure