Rashford's Goal Against Liverpool Was Eerily Similar To Ronaldo's In 2007
Marcus Rashford was the matchwinner against Liverpool at Old Trafford on Saturday, scoring a brace in a 2-1 for the hosts in his first Premier League start since Boxing Day.
The 20-year old deservedly picked up the Man of the Match award (which he then gave to his Mum as a Mother's day present) and fans have spotted that his brilliant first goal was pretty much the same goal as Cristiano Ronaldo's strike against Dynamo Kiev.
After getting in behind, and in a one-vs-one situation with Trent Alexander-Arnold, Rashford shifted the ball back on to his favoured right foot courtesy of a glorious 'Ronaldo Chop' and then rifled one into the corner.
It was the exact same move that five-time Ballon d'Or Ronaldo executed to score the fourth in a Champions League win over Dynamo Kiev in 2007 - the chop followed by the arrowed finish into the far corner from roughly the same angle/distance.
Rashford's goal in 2018 vs Ronaldo's goal in 2007 :scream::clap::red_circle: pic.twitter.com/ENoCLlaJSs
- José Mourinho-MUFC (@Utd_JM) March 11, 2018
This is excellent. Rashford vs. Ronaldo, two carbon copy finishes, spliced into one gif:https://t.co/liMpErUpfg pic.twitter.com/3Czk6XCMWs
- Alex Shaw (@AlexShawESPN) March 11, 2018
Slick finish from Rashford. Reminded me of a certain Ronaldo #ggmu :punch::soccer::red_circle:
- Paula Smith (@PaulaMS1966) March 10, 2018
That first Rashford goal really reminded me of Ronaldo
- Kenya Wetherill (@KenyaW268) March 10, 2018
Rashford's first goal comes from years of watching Cristiano Ronaldo. Textbook CR7 goal
- Kitoko (@DatGuyAbs) March 10, 2018
Rashford's first goal has Ronaldo of 2007/8 written all over it. Terrific skill to delete that lad like virus, with even more ridiculous technique to hit the back of the net.
- 07 (@waxxa_official) March 10, 2018
That first Rashford goal very reminiscent of Cristiano Ronaldo with the turn and powerful finish in the corner.
- Doc (@Doc_Joshi) March 10, 2018
That's a young Ronaldo goal from Rashford. So sharp.
- RG (@registability) March 10, 2018
The resemblance is uncanny, isn't it? Rashford has clearly been watching Ronaldo compilations.
It seems like the England international has a habit of recreating goals scored by legendary United No.7's. Last season, he scored a sumptuous free-kick against Celta Vigo and it evoked memories of David Beckham's outrageous pearler against Everton from 2003.
Marcus Rashford curls in a free-kick to give Man Utd the lead in Spain!
- Football on BT Sport (@btsportfootball) May 4, 2017
We await to see when he'll pull out Eric Cantona's delicious chip against Sunderland..
- Cristiano Ronaldo's new watch collection includes goal against Man Utd
- Mike Dean explains in-depth why Marcus Rashford's goal against Liverpool stood after given 'benefit of the doubt'
- Marcus Rashford was given ‘benefit of the doubt’ for his goal against Liverpool
- Chelsea plotting sensational move for Manchester United star "unsettled" by Ronaldo