Now, the full rankings have emerged, including the top 10 goalkeeper, defenders, midfielders and forwards in world football.
To begin with, Liverpool and Brazil goalkeeper Alisson features in the number one spot after a stellar year under Jurgen Klopp at Anfield. He sits ahead of Manuel Neuer, Jan Oblak and Marc-Andre ter Stegen; three of Europe's finest shot-stoppers.
Despite a year of inconsistency between the sticks for club and country, Manchester United's David de Gea comes in sixth place in the list, which may surprise a few considering he features above the likes of Manchester City goalkeeper Ederson.
1. Alisson (Liverpool)
2. Manuel Neuer (Bayern Munich)
3. Jan Oblak (Atletico Madrid)
4. Marc-Andre ter Stegen (Barcelona)
5. Thibaut Courtois (Real Madrid)
6. David de Gea (Manchester United)
7. Keylor Navas (Real Madrid)
8. Ederson (Manchester City)
9. Gianluigi Donnarumma (AC Milan)
10. Hugo Lloris (Tottenham)
In terms of the world's best defenders, FIFPro have named Real Madrid and Spain captain Sergio Ramos in the number one spot, ahead of Liverpool's Premier League winning trio Virgil van Dijk, Trent Alexander-Arnold and Andy Robertson.
Somewhat of a surprising choice in the list is Dani Alves; the experienced full-back who has enjoyed a productive spell at Brazilian side Sao Paolo but has he performed better than the likes of Kalidou Koulibaly, Thiago Silva and Andy Robertson?
1. Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid)
2. Virgil van Dijk (Liverpool)
3. Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool)
4. Alphonso Davies (Bayern Munich)
5. David Alaba (Bayern Munich)
6. Jordi Alba (Barcelona)
7. Dani Alves (Sao Paolo)
8. Kalidou Koulibaly (Napoli)
9. Thiago Silva (Chelsea)
10. Andy Robertson (Liverpool)
Manchester City's Kevin De Bruyne, the 2019/20 PFA Players' Player of the Year, is number one in the midfield department after another wonderful year under Pep Guardiola. He beats Thiago Alcantara, Luka Modric and N'Golo Kante to the top spot.
Bruno Fernandes, arguably one of the best signings in recent memory, has had a prolific impact at Manchester United since arriving in January and deservedly features in the list alongside the likes of Toni Kroos, Leon Goretzka and Casemiro.
1. Kevin De Bruyne (Man City)
2. Thiago Alcantara (Liverpool)
3. Joshua Kimmich (Bayern Munich)
4. Bruno Fernandes (Manchester United)
5. Luka Modric (Real Madrid)
6. N'Golo Kante (Chelsea)
7. Frenkie De Jong (Barcelona)
8. Toni Kroos (Real Madrid)
9. Leon Goretzka (Bayern Munich)
10. Casemiro (Real Madrid)
Perhaps the biggest talking point of FIFPro's latest rankings is the placing of Robert Lewandowski; the newly crowned Best FIFA Men's Player following a 55-goal haul for Bayern Munich last season. Despite his best efforts, however, Lionel Messi is placed above him in the list.
Five-time Ballon d'Or winner Cristiano Ronaldo finishes in bronze position, with the likes of Erling Haaland, Kylian Mbappe and Zlatan Ibrahimovic, who continues to tear up Serie A at the age of 39, sitting behind the Juventus forward.
1. Lionel Messi (Barcelona)
2. Robert Lewandowski (Bayern)
3. Cristiano Ronaldo (Juventus)
4. Erling Haaland (Borussia Dortmund)
5. Kylian Mbappe (PSG)
6. Neymar (PSG)
7. Zlatan Ibrahimovic (AC Milan)
8. Sadio Mane (Liverpool)
9. Karim Benzema (Real Madrid)
10. Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (Arsenal)
FIFPRO WORLD XI:
GOALKEEPER: Alisson Becker (Brazil / Liverpool)
DEFENDERS: Trent Alexander-Arnold (England / Liverpool), Virgil van Dijk (Netherlands / Liverpool), Sergio Ramos (Spain / Real Madrid), Alphonso Davies (Canada / Bayern Munich)
MIDFIELDERS: Joshua Kimmich (Germany / Bayern Munich), Kevin De Bruyne (Belgium / Manchester City), Thiago Alcantara (Spain / Bayern Munich & Liverpool)
FORWARDS: Lionel Messi (Argentina / FC Barcelona), Robert Lewandowski (Poland / Bayern Munich), Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal / Juventus)
Thoughts on the FIFPro list? Agree or disagree with any of the choices?
Let us know in the comments.
Featured Image Credit: PA Images
- FM23 names Man City star Kevin de Bruyne as the best player in the world
- Man City manager Pep Guardiola imposed a post-midnight sex ban and it brought the 'best out' of two players
- Kevin De Bruyne asked who he would prefer to play with between Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi
- Neymar reveals the FIVE players in the world who have more technical skill than him