Matteo Guendouzi was booed by home supporters while on international duty with France last night, as the hosts hammered Kazakhstan 8-0 at Parc Des Princes.
The 22-year-old is currently on loan at Marseille from Arsenal, meaning that he is less than popular with many Parisians who support arch-rivals PSG.
In the days leading up to the match, Guendouzi expressed concern with it being played at Parc Des Princes for this very reason, with the player instead suggesting that it should have taken place at the Stade De France - just across town.
His fears turned out to be justified, as just prior to the game itself, Guendouzi's name was roundly booed and jeered when read out by the stadium announcer.
Watch the video for yourself below.
Quand Mattéo Guendouzi se fait sifflé au Parc des Princes lors de #FRAKAZ, après avoir déclaré : « J'aurais préféré jouer au Stade de France, le Parc des Princes c'est le stade du PSG. »
- Le « M » (@MookieBarbu) November 14, 2021
The defensive midfielder has impressed for Marseille so far this season, earning his first France call up in near two years as a result of his fine club form.
While he hasn't yet managed to make a senior appearance for Didier Deschamps' side, getting into the 23-man squad in the run-up to next year's World Cup shows that the former Monaco boss has faith in Guendouzi's abilities.
Staying at Marseille would arguably give him the best chance of securing a seat on the plane to Qatar next year - with his Arsenal future very much still up in the air.
In a recent interview, the former Lorient youth standout even made it clear that he sees his long-term future at Marseille, rather than at the Emirates.
"I want to be part of the long term with Marseille. I'm very comfortable there, I want to continue to enjoy myself at Marseille."
- Referee Responds To Fans Who Insult Him During Coupe De France Clash In 'Never Seen Before' Fashion
- Lionel Messi Opens Up On His PSG Struggles, Defeat to Real Madrid And Being Booed By His Own Fans
- Lionel Messi Is Getting Booed By Paris Saint-Germain Fans When He Touches The Ball, It Wasn't Meant To End This Way
- An Emotional Luis Suarez Reacts To Best Friends Lionel Messi And Neymar Being Booed By Paris Saint-Germain Fans