sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Mario Balotelli reacts with cryptic social media post after Italy manager Robert Mancini said his Italy career is over
Home>Football
Updated 12:52 7 Apr 2023 GMT+1Published 17:40 4 Apr 2023 GMT+1

Mario Balotelli reacts with cryptic social media post after Italy manager Robert Mancini said his Italy career is over

Balotelli isn't giving up hopes of a recall to the national side.

Tom Young

Tom Young

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Mario Balotelli appears to have taken aim at Italy manager Roberto Mancini, after posting two cryptic messages to his Instagram account on Monday evening.

The posts came after Italy national team manager Mancini - who previously coached the Italian forward during his stint at Manchester City - claimed that Balotelli's time with the Azzurri is a 'closed chapter'.

Speaking at an FIGC event on Monday, Mancini suggested that he will not be considering Balotelli for the national side, despite having a wealth of forwards absent due to injury:

"I think that chapter is closed," said Mancini after being asked whether he would consider recalling the FC Sion forward.

Advert

However it appears as though Balotelli isn't taking no for an answer, as he posted two cryptic messages to his Instagram account on Monday evening, which appear to be aimed at his former manager.

The first featured Balotelli's cartoon avatar laughing, before following up with a video that read "you don't become king by chasing the queen; you become king by chasing the crown."

It isn't the first time that Balotelli has used his social media accounts in an attempt to force his way back into the national team plans, after he sent an indirect message to Mancini following his complaints of a lack of fit forwards prior to the recent international break.

However, despite his best efforts, it looks as though Mario will be left waiting on a first international call up since 2018, with Mancini all but closing the door on a call-up while he is in charge of the side.

The relationship between Mancini and Balotelli has suffered its fair share of ups and downs over the years, with perhaps the most famous moment coming during Manchester City's 2011 pre-season tour of the United States.

City took to the Home Depot Center to take on LA Galaxy and, with Mancini's side leading 1-0 thanks to an early Balotelli penalty, they had a glorious opportunity to double their lead after David Silva slipped the Italian forward through on goal.

However a moment of Balotelli madness ensued, as the Italian bizarrely attempted to showboat and saw an outrageous effort trickle wide.

A raging Mancini decided that he had seen enough, hooking the forward in place of James Milner before telling Balotelli exactly what he thought of his embarrassing attempt on goal.

Featured Image Credit: Alamy

Topics: Mario Balotelli, Italy, Roberto Mancini

Tom Young
Tom Young

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

5 hours ago
6 hours ago
8 hours ago
  • Getty Images
    5 hours ago

    Carlo Ancelotti announces 26-man Brazil World Cup squad as Neymar call made

    Brazil take on Morocco in their opening group match on June 13.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    6 hours ago

    Pep Guardiola to leave Manchester City after final game against Aston Villa as successor named

    Guardiola is expected to leave City after 10 seasons in charge.

    Football
  • Getty
    8 hours ago

    Croatia announce 26-man World Cup squad as decisions made on Modric and Gvardiol

    The European nation begin their tournament against England on June 17.

    Football
  • Getty
    8 hours ago

    Jamie Carragher reignites Mo Salah feud branding Liverpool man selfish live on MNF

    Salah demanded a return to 'heavy metal football' in an apparent parting swipe at Arne Slot

    Football
  • QUIZ: Can you name the team from Cristiano Ronaldo's first international start for Portugal?