sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
"If the club wants to keep me..." - Wout Weghorst makes blunt Man Utd contract demand
Home>Football
Updated 11:23 9 May 2023 GMT+1Published 10:26 9 May 2023 GMT+1

"If the club wants to keep me..." - Wout Weghorst makes blunt Man Utd contract demand

Weghorst has made a blunt contract demand.

Chris Byfield

Chris Byfield

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Wout Weghorst has made a blunt Manchester United contract demand.

The forward joined United on loan in January as a short-term Cristiano Ronaldo replacement and went on to make 17 consecutive appearances for the club.

However, he has been a much-derided figure while leading the line for the Old Trafford club, having netted just twice in his 27 appearances in all competitions.

However, Weghorst is hopeful he has a future at United.

Advert

Indeed, Erik ten Hag suggested last month that the club would be open to keeping the Netherlands international beyond his loan, and Weghorst has since explained that talks with his representatives and United have been positive.

Weghorst's contract demand

Weghorst wants reassurance over his role in the team moving forwards.

Indeed, Anthony Martial’s return to fitness has meant the striker has started just one o the last seven in the Premier League.

The striker explained: “I’m a guy who likes to play football.

“When your appearances are reduced, as has been the case lately, you realise what you are missing.

“If the club wants to keep me, I’ll have to know what role they have in mind for me.”

Whether Weghorst would get such assurances is uncertain, given United’s expected pursuit of Tottenham’s Harry Kane and Napoli’s Victor Osimhen in the summer.

The Burnley loanee insisted, however, that conversations over his future were progressing well.

“In those [talks] the club said they are very satisfied with me. It has absolutely not been communicated with me that Man United don’t want to continue with me,” Weghorst told The Times after United’s defeat by West Ham United on Sunday.

“They appreciate my value. They believe I am absolutely an asset to the team.

“Of course, I have heard different things [in the media]. I have to wait and see what happens and focus on our goals in the league and cup competitions.’”

Featured Image Credit: Alamy

Topics: Burnley, Erik Ten Hag, Football, Manchester United, Premier League, Wout Weghorst

Chris Byfield
Chris Byfield

Sport journalist with experience writing on football, rugby, boxing and the Olympics. I'm also a Crystal Palace fan. Please don't hold this against me.

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

7 mins ago
an hour ago
10 hours ago
11 hours ago
  • Getty Images
    7 mins ago

    Footage shows Joao Pedro's family reacting to Brazil squad announcement and it's a painful watch

    Pedro was left out of Carlo Ancelotti's 26-man squad.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    an hour ago

    Joao Pedro issues statement after being left out of Brazil's World Cup squad as Carlo Ancelotti addresses decision

    To the surprise of many, Pedro has been left out alongside a number of other big names.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    10 hours ago

    Carlo Ancelotti announces 26-man Brazil World Cup squad as Neymar call made

    Brazil take on Morocco in their opening group match on June 13.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    11 hours ago

    Pep Guardiola to leave Manchester City after final game against Aston Villa as successor named

    Guardiola is expected to leave City after 10 seasons in charge.

    Football
  • Wout Weghorst Sent Home From Netherlands Camp Ahead of World Cup Qualifier
  • Man Utd target refused to join due to 'disrespectful' clause club wanted to insert into his contract
  • Wout Weghorst posts emotional farewell video to Manchester United
  • Man Utd Demanded Player Leave Club but Still Played Him Over Alvaro Carreras