• Football
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • Home
  • Football
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • Lionel Messi
    • Cristiano Ronaldo
    • EA FC 25
    • Wrexham
  • Boxing
    • Tyson Fury
    • Anthony Joshua
    • Oleksandr Usyk
    • Mike Tyson
    • Jake Paul
    • Logan Paul
  • UFC
    • Dana White
    • Conor McGregor
    • Khabib Nurmagomedov
    • Jon Jones
    • Paddy Pimblett
    • Joe Rogan
  • Other Sport
    • Athletics
    • Formula 1
    • MMA
    • Motorsport
    • NBA
    • Darts
    • NFL
    • Snooker
    • Wrestling
    • Tennis
    • Cricket
    • Golf
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • UNILAD
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube
Sheikh Jassim drops biggest hint yet that Manchester United takeover is close

Home> Football

Published 16:55 15 Jun 2023 GMT+1

Sheikh Jassim drops biggest hint yet that Manchester United takeover is close

Could the sale of Manchester United finally be in sight?

Alex Brotherton

Alex Brotherton

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Manchester United fans have been given the clearest hint yet that Sheikh Jassim is going to win the race to buy the club.

It feels like years have passed since the Glazer family announced their intention to sell United but in reality it's been about eight months.

The process of bidding has been a long-winded affair but, throughout the process, Sheikh Jassim of Qatar and British billionaire Sir Jim Ratcliffe have been the two frontrunners to complete a takeover.

In recent weeks, the odds have begun to tilt in Jassim's favour and on Thursday, news broke that makes him the firm favourite to take over.

Advert

The news emerged that a firm called Nine Two UK Holdings was incorporated and registered at Companies House. The incorporation date was Thursday, June 15, and Jassim was listed as one of the two directors of the firm.

All 100 shares in the new UK company are held by Nine Two Holdings LLC in Doha, Qatar.

While the company name should come as no surprise, the Qatari banker announced in February that his bid would be carried out through the Nine Two Foundation, a reference to United's famous Class of '92.

The fact that the firm was incorporated on Thursday, days after reports emerged that Jassim had been chosen as the preferred bidder, is interesting.

The Sheikh is thought to have bid more than £5.5 billion to take complete control of United, while Ratcliffe proposed to take majority control while leaving some members of the Glazer family with influence over the club.

Having called for the Glazers to sell the club for years, most United fans have thrown their support behind Jassim.

Protests against the Glazers have continued throughout the prolonged sale. Image: Alamy
Protests against the Glazers have continued throughout the prolonged sale. Image: Alamy

Speaking on Thursday morning in a video posted to social media, United club legend Rio Ferdinand said the Jassim takeover was close to completion.

"The Qatari takeover is something that we’ve been waiting for a long time," he said.

"We’re hearing that it’s close, within a matter of days it will happen, if not hours.

"Fingers crossed that it is right, I’ve got it from a good source that it is true."

However, before United fans get too excited, they must acknowledge that this could be a false alarm.

Jassim setting up a UK holding company could just be a step he has taken so that everything is ready to complete a deal, should the moment arise.

It is not uncommon for firms to be set up but not become active because deals fall through.

On Twitter, journalist Ben Jacobs pointed out: "Important to note, despite the excitement, that the paperwork for Nine Two UK Holdings Limited was sent to Companies House months ago.

"A lot of people getting excited about the date of incorporation (15 June). But this was initiated long before Qatar's last two offers."

Featured Image Credit: PA/Alamy

Topics: Manchester United, Premier League, Champions League

Alex Brotherton
Alex Brotherton

Alex Brotherton is a journalist at SPORTbible. He has previously worked with publications including the Manchester Evening News, GOAL and BBC Sport. He is a football fanatic, but also dabbles in tennis and American football. He can often be found watching dreadful non-league football.

X

@alex_brotherton

Advert

Advert

Advert

  • BREAKING: Rio Ferdinand claims Qatari buyout of Man Utd is 'imminent'
  • Journalist gives Sheikh Jassim update as Manchester United preferred bidder timeframe reported
  • Sheikh Jassim drops new Man Utd offer and sets firm deadline
  • Reports in Qatar claim Sheikh Jassim has won the race to buy Manchester United

Choose your content:

2 hours ago
3 hours ago
4 hours ago
  • X
    2 hours ago

    Kylian Mbappe gives explosive interview as he reveals alleged racist comment

    The Real Madrid star has revealed the alleged comment made towards Vinicius Junior during the Champions League match.

    Football
  • Getty/ Amazon Prime
    3 hours ago

    Jose Mourinho slammed for comments on Vini Jr incident as pundits left speechless

    The Benfica boss has revealed exactly what he said to Vinicius Junior following the alleged racist incident.

    Football
  • Getty
    3 hours ago

    Trent Alexander-Arnold speaks out on Vini Jr incident as Brazilian issues statement

    The Real Madrid right-back spoke to Amazon Prime after an eventful night in Lisbon.

    Football
  • Prime Video
    4 hours ago

    Gianluca Prestianni takes immediate action following incident with Vini Jr

    The Benfica winger was involved in an incident with the Real Madrid man during the second half of the Champions League play-off first leg.

    Football