To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders
Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications
| Last updated
Manchester City players sported special, sustainable pre-match prior to the Premier League clash with Watford this afternoon as part of PUMA's innovative recycling project 'RE:JERSEY'.
The shirts worn in the warm-up are made with 75% repurposed football jerseys, with the remaining 25% coming from 'Seaqual Marine plastic' - a fully traceable raw material made from marine litter.
The RE:JERSEY campaign strives to reduce waste and pave the way towards more circular production models in the future.
In terms of the process, the material - including old garments featuring logos, embroideries and club crests, is chemically broken down into its main components.
After this, colours are filtered out and the material is chemically restored to create a yarn that mirrors the performance characteristics as virgin polyester.
Commenting on the project, Pete Bradshaw, Director of Sustainability at Manchester City, said: "Both Manchester City and PUMA have made significant commitments to their respective sustainability agendas that ensure both social and environmental actions work for long-term, tangible change.
“With RE:JERSEY, PUMA is looking for new ways to make sporting goods more circular and we are proud to be able to play a part in this journey, working to engage fans, community, workforce and partners – actively collaborating for a better future.”
City's women's team will also wear the pre-match top prior to game against Leicester City on Sunday, while fellow PUMA clubs Borussia Dortmund, AC Milan and Marseille also have their own unique jerseys and will have them on show in upcoming fixtures.
In another part of the initiative, PUMA will encourage fans to donate old 100% polyester items so they can be involved in the recycling project.
Collection bins will be placed at the City Store near the Etihad Stadium, as well as take-back bins around the Etihad Campus vicinity.
To announce the important initiative, the words, “Eat, Sleep, City Repeat – 100% RE:JERSEY” have been crafted on the Etihad centre circle pitch on a bright blue patchwork using recycled materials.
PUMA’s football kits are already made from 100% recycled polyester and the German company are hoping to have 75% recycled polyester until 2025 for their whole apparel and accessories.
Featured Image Credit: Image: Manchester City & PUMA
Chosen for YouChosen for You
Most Read StoriesMost Read