• Football
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • Home
  • Football
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • Lionel Messi
    • Cristiano Ronaldo
    • EA FC 25
    • Wrexham
  • Boxing
    • Tyson Fury
    • Anthony Joshua
    • Oleksandr Usyk
    • Mike Tyson
    • Jake Paul
    • Logan Paul
  • UFC
    • Dana White
    • Conor McGregor
    • Khabib Nurmagomedov
    • Jon Jones
    • Paddy Pimblett
    • Joe Rogan
  • Other Sport
    • Athletics
    • Formula 1
    • MMA
    • Motorsport
    • NBA
    • Darts
    • NFL
    • Snooker
    • Wrestling
    • Tennis
    • Cricket
    • Golf
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • UNILAD
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube
"One of my biggest mistakes" - Klopp regrets Liverpool not signing "world-class" striker

Home> Football

Published 07:00 9 Nov 2022 GMT

"One of my biggest mistakes" - Klopp regrets Liverpool not signing "world-class" striker

Jurgen Klopp regrets not signing Tottenham’s “world-class” attacker Son Heung-min for Liverpool.

Chris Byfield

Chris Byfield

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Jurgen Klopp regrets not signing Tottenham’s “world-class” attacker Son Heung-min for Liverpool.

The Reds edged past Tottenham 2-1 at the weekend - a much-needed three points given Jurgen Klopp’s side had lost their previous two league encounters to Premier League strugglers Nottingham Forest and Leeds United.

Liverpool are in eighth place after enduring a torrid start to the season but they are now a more palatable seven points from Spurs in the Champions League places.

Antonio Conte’s Tottenham side have also struggled for form and fitness in recent weeks and had to welcome Liverpool on Sunday without talismanic South Korean international Son.

Klopp’s “biggest mistake”

Son was injured at the weekend after undergoing surgery on a broken eye socket he sustained in the Champions League win against Marseille last week.

Advert

While his absence was a help to Liverpool, Klopp said he hopes to see Son recover before the World Cup later this month.

The Reds boss also confirmed he had made a “mistake” in not signing the wide-man for Liverpool.

Speaking to KBS News Klopp said: "One of the biggest mistakes in my life was not signing him (Son).

"Outstanding, world-class, and one of the best strikers in the world. I heard he’ll be alright. Maybe need to wear a mask, but even with a mask, he’ll be alright.”

Son signed for Spurs from Bayer Leverkusen seven years ago for just £22million and has since gone on to become one of the most devastating attackers in world football.

Last term the 30-year-old was level at the top of the goalscoring ranks with Liverpool’s Mohamed Salah and the pair shared the Golden Boot.

Son’s World Cup hopes

Conte said he was “confident” that Son would be fit enough to compete at the Qatar World Cup, which kicks off on November 20.

The Spurs manager said: "I sent him a message yesterday after the surgery and Sonny was really, really disappointed about this situation but I hope for him he will recover very well and play in the World Cup.

"I was a player and I know the importance of playing in the World Cup.

"Tonight he was the first person to play this game, for sure he missed us. I am confident, confident that he can come back quickly and play the World Cup for South Korea."

South Korea's first World Cup fixture is against Uruguay on November 24.

Featured Image Credit: Alamy

Topics: Football, Antonio Conte, Jurgen Klopp, Son Heung Min, Football World Cup, Liverpool, Tottenham Hotspur

Chris Byfield
Chris Byfield

Sport journalist with experience writing on football, rugby, boxing and the Olympics. I'm also a Crystal Palace fan. Please don't hold this against me.

Advert

Advert

Advert

Choose your content:

8 hours ago
10 hours ago
11 hours ago
  • Getty Images
    8 hours ago

    Wrexham transfer target ready to 'accept' move if they achieve Premier League promotion

    Several clubs are also said to be interested, including Aston Villa and Everton.

    Football
  • Getty
    8 hours ago

    Scott McTominay speaks out on future as shock club 'leads way' to sign Napoli star

    McTominay was named as the Serie A MVP last season after signing for Napoli from Manchester United.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    10 hours ago

    Jesse Lingard close to transfer after seven teams 'rejected' chance to sign him

    Lingard is said to be in talks with the little-known club.

    Football
  • Judit Cartiel/Getty Images
    11 hours ago

    Barcelona to 'sign Marcus Rashford then immediately sell him' as bombshell report drops

    The Manchester United star could finally see his dream to join Barcelona permanently come true, only to be immediately sold.

    Football
  • Jurgen Klopp didn't hesitate when revealing the two Premier League players he most regrets not signing in his career
  • “One of my biggest mistakes…” - Jurgen Klopp laid bare Son Heung-Min transfer regret ahead of Liverpool vs Tottenham
  • Jurgen Klopp claims failed transfer was ‘one of the biggest mistakes of his life’
  • What Happened to £34m Star Jurgen Klopp Failed to Make Final Liverpool Signing