sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Atletico Madrid fans spot Joao Felix's furious reaction to being left on the bench against Club Brugge
Home>Football
Updated 23:49 12 Oct 2022 GMT+1Published 23:39 12 Oct 2022 GMT+1

Atletico Madrid fans spot Joao Felix's furious reaction to being left on the bench against Club Brugge

Felix has also 'liked' a tweet urging him to return to Benfica.

Rory O'Callaghan

Rory O'Callaghan

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Joao Felix has liked a tweet suggesting he should leave Atletico Madrid after he was left on the bench for Wednesday's frustrating goalless draw against Club Brugge.

Atletico face a battle to qualify for the knockout stages of the Champions League after failing to beat 10-man Brugge at the Metropolitano Stadium.

Despite dominating much of the match, Atletico could not find a way to beat Brugge goalkeeper Simon Mignolet, who inspired his side to another impressive result in Europe.

Advert

A point for Brugge was enough to see them book their place in the last 16, with Atletico – now third in the group – set to battle it out with Porto and Bayer Leverkusen for second spot.

It was a hugely frustrating evening for Atletico, who had two goals disallowed and were unable to capitalise on a man advantage in the final 10 minutes after Brugge midfielder Kamal Sowah was shown a second yellow card.

Atletico's record signing Felix, who joined the club in a £113m move from Benfica in 2019, failed to make the starting line-up for the fourth successive match.

But after being told to warm-up in the last 15 minutes, it looked like Felix might play a role in the game.

However, Atletico Madrid boss Diego Simeone instead opted to bring on defensive midfielder Axel Witsel as a replacement for striker Antoine Griezmann as his final substitution – despite his side needing a goal to win.

Felix struggled to hide his disappointment with Simeone's decision, throwing his bib away in disgust before slumping into his seat in the dugout.

After the match, Felix liked a tweet from a Benfica supporter which read: "Here you are respected. Come home, Joao."

Felix has struggled for minutes this season and is yet to score in 12 appearances for Atletico.

Speaking ahead of Wednesday's match, Simeone accepted some responsibility for Felix's poor form.

"All of the bad things he does, I do it worse. The frustration he has is that I have not been able to give him what he needs in order to show the football and the talent he has, but it is all mine, for sure," said Simeone.

Does Felix need to leave Atletico? Let us know your thoughts.

Featured Image Credit: BT Sport

Topics: Joao Felix, Football, Atletico Madrid, La Liga, Champions League

Rory O'Callaghan
Rory O'Callaghan

Rory O'Callaghan is Editorial Lead at SPORTbible. He has previously worked for Sky Sports News, MailOnline and Reach covering football, cricket, boxing and MMA.

X

@rory_ocallaghan

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

a minute ago
2 hours ago
  • Getty
    a minute ago

    Man City decide on first two signings under Enzo Maresca as private talks held

    Maresca is set to replace Pep Guardiola as Manchester City manager.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    2 hours ago

    Liverpool launch £92m raid for two players from the same club

    Arne Slot is clearly being backed by the board again as he launches another summer of spending

    Football
  • Getty Images
    2 hours ago

    Xabi Alonso prepared to unleash 6ft 7in Chelsea giant yet to play a game for the club

    The new Chelsea boss is wasting no time in making a massive change to the squad.

    Football
  • Getty
    2 hours ago

    'I've been told...' - Man City to lose third player in mass exodus amid Pep Guardiola exit rumours

    Guardiola is expected to leave Man City at the end of the season - and several more players could follow him out of the door.

    Football
  • 'I made a mistake' - Antoine Griezmann apologises to Atletico Madrid fans in emotional farewell message
  • Real Madrid star 'considering retirement' over horrific injury as club crisis spirals
  • Real Madrid in crisis as SIX players refuse to speak to Alvaro Arbeloa while fights break out in training
  • Fans spot Dani Carvajal gesture on Real Madrid bench after Trent Alexander-Arnold moment