Joao Cancelo holds meeting with Julian Nagelsmann after recent events, he's very unhappy
| Last updated
Joao Cancelo has spoken to Bayern Munich boss Julian Nagelsmann after reports that he could return to Manchester City in the summer.
Cancelo made a strong start to his career in Munich, but has recently found himself out of the side, including in the 2-0 win against Paris Saint-Germain in the Champions League this week.
Bayern boss Nagelsmann has adopted a back-three defensive set up since Cancelo arrived and has not found an effective way to incorporate the 28-year-old into the system.
Reports emerged this week that Cancelo was growing frustrated just a month after joining the club.
Spanish newspaper Sport reported that Bayern have already communicated to City that they will not be activating the £62m purchase option in Cancelo's loan deal at the end of the season.
Earlier this week, Bayern's sporting director Hasan Salihamidzic said of Cancelo: "He hasn’t been training and playing quite as he imagined himself lately."
However, speaking to the media ahead of Bayern's Bundesliga meeting with Augsburg on Saturday, Nagelsmann revealed that he and Cancelo have spoken about the issue.
"As things stand, he'll get the chance to play from the start [against Augsburg]," Nagelsmann said.
"He always had a good reaction. One training session wasn't so good, afterwards we had a very good conversation. The conversation was very open, did him a lot of good. He has the joy on the field again."
As City fans know well, it doesn't take a lot for Cancelo's head to drop, but when he is playing and enjoying himself he is one of the best full-backs in the world.
The door is certainly not closed on a return to City, but when asked about Cancelo on Friday, Guardiola remained tight-lipped.
"Joao is a player for Bayern Munich. I do not have any comments," he said.
"At the end of the season, we review all the cases"