• Football
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • Home
  • Football
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • Lionel Messi
    • Cristiano Ronaldo
    • EA FC 25
    • Wrexham
  • Boxing
    • Tyson Fury
    • Anthony Joshua
    • Oleksandr Usyk
    • Mike Tyson
    • Jake Paul
    • Logan Paul
  • UFC
    • Dana White
    • Conor McGregor
    • Khabib Nurmagomedov
    • Jon Jones
    • Paddy Pimblett
    • Joe Rogan
  • Other Sport
    • Athletics
    • Formula 1
    • MMA
    • Motorsport
    • NBA
    • Darts
    • NFL
    • Snooker
    • Wrestling
    • Tennis
    • Cricket
    • Golf
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • UNILAD
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube
Steven Bergwijn responds to Ronald Koeman after being ruthlessly axed from Netherlands squad and hasn’t held back

Home> Football> Football News

Published 08:56 6 Sep 2024 GMT+1

Steven Bergwijn responds to Ronald Koeman after being ruthlessly axed from Netherlands squad and hasn’t held back

Steven Bergwijn has hit back at Ronald Koeman following the brutal decision.

Alex Brotherton

Alex Brotherton

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Steven Bergwijn has hit back at Ronald Koeman after the manager brutally axed him from the Netherlands squad.

Ronald Koeman announced his Netherlands squad for their upcoming UEFA Nations League fixtures, but there was one noticeable absentee.

Attacker Steven Bergwijn was part of the squad that reached the semi-finals of Euro 2024 earlier this summer, but he was not included in the latest squad.

In fact, Koeman explained that the 26-year-old's international career is 'over' after deciding to leave Ajax for Saudi Pro League side Al Ittihad during the summer transfer window.

Advert

Bergwijn, who spent two years in the Premier League with Tottenham Hotspur before joining Ajax in 2022, completed a £17.7 million move to Al Ittihad on Monday.

During a press conference on Tuesday (September 3), Koeman slammed Bergwijn's decision and said he won't play for the Netherland's again while he is manager.

"The book is basically closed to him. He knows what I think about this," Koeman said.

"When you are 26, your main ambition should be sporting, not financial. These are choices that players make.

"I have never been in that situation, because I could go to Barcelona. He could have stayed at Ajax, that's not bad, is it? "You have to respect that choice, but personally I wouldn't (have moved)."

On Friday (September 6), Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf published an interview with Bergwijn in which the player hit back at Koeman.

Steven Bergwijn has left Ajax for Al Ittihad. [Getty]
Steven Bergwijn has left Ajax for Al Ittihad. [Getty]

"I don’t even want to play for this manager anymore," Bergwijn said.

"I won’t play for someone who portray me like he has done in the media. He could have called me, hear my side of the story. How can he say such things without talking to me?

"If he had been a committed national coach, he would have called me first. Now I had to hear it from the TV. I have also experienced many beautiful moments with the national coach, but I am disappointed in him.

"I have always considered it an honour to play for the Dutch national team. But under this national coach, I no longer want to do that."

When asked if his move to Al Ittihad was purely financially motivated, Bergwijn said: "It is a golden opportunity in terms of sport and finance. With a salary that I could never have dreamed of earning as a little boy.

"I can assure him [Koeman] that the competition in Saudi Arabia is better than the one in the Netherlands."

Featured Image Credit: ESPN

Topics: Netherlands, Ronald Koeman, Saudi Pro League, Ajax, Premier League, Football

Alex Brotherton
Alex Brotherton

Alex Brotherton is a journalist at SPORTbible. He has previously worked with publications including the Manchester Evening News, GOAL and BBC Sport. He is a football fanatic, but also dabbles in tennis and American football. He can often be found watching dreadful non-league football.

X

@alex_brotherton

Advert

Advert

Advert

Choose your content:

10 hours ago
12 hours ago
13 hours ago
  • Getty Images
    10 hours ago

    Wrexham transfer target ready to 'accept' move if they achieve Premier League promotion

    Several clubs are also said to be interested, including Aston Villa and Everton.

    Football
  • Getty
    10 hours ago

    Scott McTominay speaks out on future as shock club 'leads way' to sign Napoli star

    McTominay was named as the Serie A MVP last season after signing for Napoli from Manchester United.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    12 hours ago

    Jesse Lingard close to transfer after seven teams 'rejected' chance to sign him

    Lingard is said to be in talks with the little-known club.

    Football
  • Judit Cartiel/Getty Images
    13 hours ago

    Barcelona to 'sign Marcus Rashford then immediately sell him' as bombshell report drops

    The Manchester United star could finally see his dream to join Barcelona permanently come true, only to be immediately sold.

    Football
  • Ronald Koeman reveals what Virgil van Dijk has told him about leaving Liverpool while on Netherlands duty
  • Darwin Nunez sends clear message to Al Hilal owners after being axed from squad
  • Wout Weghorst Sent Home From Netherlands Camp Ahead of World Cup Qualifier
  • Ronald Koeman has ANOTHER dig at Steven Bergwijn as feud between the pair gets ugly