sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
What Burnley players did to Milutin Osmajic before kick-off amid alleged racism scandal speaks volumes
Home>Football>Football News
Updated 13:13 1 Mar 2025 GMTPublished 12:29 1 Mar 2025 GMT

What Burnley players did to Milutin Osmajic before kick-off amid alleged racism scandal speaks volumes

Burnley played Preston in the FA Cup less than two weeks after Hannibal Mejbri accused Milutin Osmajic of racism.

Josh Lawless

Josh Lawless

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Burnley players made an instant statement against Preston striker Milutin Osmajic after he was accused of making a racist remark to one of their teammates.

The two sides met in the FA Cup fifth round at Deepdale on Saturday lunchtime, less than two weeks after a goalless draw in the Championship.

But that on 15 February game was overshadowed by a racism allegation which Hannibal Mejbri made against Osmajic after an incident at the start of the second half.

Having been visibly distressed, the Tunisian reported the comment to the referee Andrew Kitchen, who was praised for the way in which he dealt with the matter.

Advert

Both Burnley and Hannibal issued statements, leading to an FA investigation which hasn't yet concluded - meaning Osmajic was free to play in the FA Cup clash.

An investigation was launched after an incident in the Burnley vs Preston game on 15 February. Image: Getty
An investigation was launched after an incident in the Burnley vs Preston game on 15 February. Image: Getty

Hannibal was left out by manager Scott Parker but his teammates took a stand by refusing to shake hands with the striker prior to the game.

Osmajic extended his hand to opposition players but was completely blanked by every member of the Clarets starting XI.

They shook hands with other players but made no effort to do so with Osmajic, who had to just walk past. He was seen laughing afterwards following the snubbing.

Speaking before the Lancashire derby Parker had admitted he had a tough decision as to whether Hannibal would feature in the clash and ultimately opted against selecting the former Manchester United player in the matchday squad.

"It is tough and one which I need to think hard and long on," Parker said in his press conference on Thursday.

"Fundamentally I want to protect Hannibal, but then why should he miss out? That is a decision I will have to make.

"I will make the best decision that feels right for Hannibal, explaining the situation and seeing where he is comfortable. I will have those conversations on Friday morning."

Preston said that Osmajic "strongly refuted" claims of racial abuse. The investigation into the incident includes interviews with both players involves, as well as club staff and witnesses.

If found guilty, Osmajic is facing a suspension of at least six games. Earlier this season he was banned for eight games and fined £15,000 for biting Owen Beck’s neck in a game against Blackburn Rovers in September.

Featured Image Credit: BBC

Topics: Burnley, Preston North End, Hannibal Mejbri

Josh Lawless
Josh Lawless

Josh is a sports journalist who specialises in football and WWE. He has been published by Curzon Ashton FC, Late Tackle, Manchester City FC, The Mirror, Read Man City and Manchester Evening News. He provides coverage of professional wrestling and has covered two WrestleMania events for SPORTbible.

X

@joshlawless_

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

9 hours ago
10 hours ago
12 hours ago
  • Getty Images
    9 hours ago

    Carlo Ancelotti announces 26-man Brazil World Cup squad as Neymar call made

    Brazil take on Morocco in their opening group match on June 13.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    10 hours ago

    Pep Guardiola to leave Manchester City after final game against Aston Villa as successor named

    Guardiola is expected to leave City after 10 seasons in charge.

    Football
  • Getty
    12 hours ago

    Croatia announce 26-man World Cup squad as decisions made on Modric and Gvardiol

    The European nation begin their tournament against England on June 17.

    Football
  • Getty
    12 hours ago

    Jamie Carragher reignites Mo Salah feud branding Liverpool man selfish live on MNF

    Salah demanded a return to 'heavy metal football' in an apparent parting swipe at Arne Slot

    Football
  • Ruben Amorim's reaction before Bruno Fernandes scored last minute penalty vs Burnley speaks volumes
  • Fans call out Milutin Osmajic's 'grim' celebration against Burnley amid alleged racism row
  • How Milutin Osmajic reacted after being called into meeting with ref after Hannibal Mejbri allegations
  • What Lewis Hamilton did after suffering ‘worst year’ speaks volumes amid current Ferrari struggles