• Football
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • Home
  • Football
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • Lionel Messi
    • Cristiano Ronaldo
    • EA FC 25
    • Wrexham
  • Boxing
    • Tyson Fury
    • Anthony Joshua
    • Oleksandr Usyk
    • Mike Tyson
    • Jake Paul
    • Logan Paul
  • UFC
    • Dana White
    • Conor McGregor
    • Khabib Nurmagomedov
    • Jon Jones
    • Paddy Pimblett
    • Joe Rogan
  • Other Sport
    • Athletics
    • Formula 1
    • MMA
    • Motorsport
    • NBA
    • Darts
    • NFL
    • Snooker
    • Wrestling
    • Tennis
    • Cricket
    • Golf
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • UNILAD
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube
Vincent Kompany has radical plan to reduce injuries in football as up to 100 Premier League stars face fitness issues

Home> Football> Football News

Updated 08:30 29 Sep 2023 GMT+1Published 08:29 29 Sep 2023 GMT+1

Vincent Kompany has radical plan to reduce injuries in football as up to 100 Premier League stars face fitness issues

Former Manchester City captain Vincent Kompany is now the Burnley manager

Marcus Chan

Marcus Chan

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Burnley boss Vincent Kompany has come up with a plan to reduce injuries in football.

As the 23/24 season begins to take shape, it has been reported that almost 100 Premier League players are either ruled out of this weekend’s matches or facing a late battle to prove their fitness.

Over the last few seasons, top managers in the Premier League have criticised the football schedule amid concerns over their players' welfare.

Speaking ahead of his side’s match against Newcastle United on Saturday, Burnley boss Kompany has come up with a plan to limit the number of matches a player can play during a season.

Advert

He said: “For the players at the top, who have to play for their national teams and all of these other competitions, it should be capped appearances within a season.

“Put a number on it. It's not for me to put a number on it, (but) 60 or 65 games. They (still) have to work hard, don't get me wrong, but 60 games takes a little bit away. It would put the pressure more on coaches and national teams to come to a common-sense calendar.

“There is a part of the league with an enormous amount of international players playing all over the world who get very little rest.”

Kompany added: “If I look at the position we're in, compared to the Championship last season, it is OK. We're all right.

“I really believe in common sense. You're not going to keep a player away from finals or important games, you're not going to do that, but I think if you decide that physiologically that 65 games is beyond healthy then that should be the cap.

“So when he has to have time off, he has time off. Squads get bigger, players get more game time - everyone is happy. After that, you start juggling around like you do when you have an injured player. It's no more difficult than that.”

Image
Getty

During Manchester City’s Treble winning season, midfielder Rodri played 5,304 minutes across 66 matches.

The 27-year-old previously admitted he has spoken to City about his game time.

As per the Daily Mail, he said: “It's not healthy. You can do it for one season, but when it's two or three in a row, it can be worse for the team because your physicality can drop.

“So I have to watch out. We have already spoken that it cannot always be like this.”

SPORTbible are on WhatsApp! We've launched a dedicated news channel to send you the latest news, features and plenty more directly on WhatsApp and all you need to do to sign up is click through to our one-way broadcast channel here for 'SPORTbible News' to appear in the 'Updates' tab on your WhatsApp.

Featured Image Credit: Sky Sports/Getty

Topics: Vincent Kompany, Burnley, Football, Premier League

Marcus Chan
Marcus Chan

Advert

Advert

Advert

Choose your content:

3 hours ago
4 hours ago
5 hours ago
  • X
    3 hours ago

    Kylian Mbappe gives explosive interview as he reveals alleged racist comment

    The Real Madrid star has revealed the alleged comment made towards Vinicius Junior during the Champions League match.

    Football
  • Getty/ Amazon Prime
    4 hours ago

    Jose Mourinho slammed for comments on Vini Jr incident as pundits left speechless

    The Benfica boss has revealed exactly what he said to Vinicius Junior following the alleged racist incident.

    Football
  • Getty
    4 hours ago

    Trent Alexander-Arnold speaks out on Vini Jr incident as Brazilian issues statement

    The Real Madrid right-back spoke to Amazon Prime after an eventful night in Lisbon.

    Football
  • Prime Video
    5 hours ago

    Gianluca Prestianni takes immediate action following incident with Vini Jr

    The Benfica winger was involved in an incident with the Real Madrid man during the second half of the Champions League play-off first leg.

    Football
  • Vincent Kompany loses it with reporter for 'unbelievable' question in Bayern Munich press conference
  • Paul Merson Apologised to Two Premier League Stars for Soccer Saturday Comments
  • Fans in disbelief at what Vincent Kompany's assistant posted hours before Bayern Munich's game vs Inter Milan
  • Burnley confirm Lyle Foster is in the care of specialists, Vincent Kompany releases statement