sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
The reason why Jobe Bellingham picked Sunderland over Newcastle in the summer
Home>Football>Football News>Newcastle United
Updated 12:10 6 Jan 2024 GMTPublished 12:08 6 Jan 2024 GMT

The reason why Jobe Bellingham picked Sunderland over Newcastle in the summer

Jobe Bellingham signed for Sunderland from Birmingham in the summer, though Newcastle were interested.

Josh Lawless

Josh Lawless

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Jobe Bellingham will line up for Sunderland against Newcastle in the FA Cup third round but he could have been on the opposite side.

The two sides play out the first Tyne-Wear derby since 2016 at Saturday lunchtime in what could well be a cauldron at the Stadium of Light.

The last encounter was a 1-1 draw in the league, with the teams not playing in the same division since then.

Advert

Sunderland are unbeaten in their last nine games against Newcastle and they'll need Bellingham, younger brother of Real Madrid sensation Jude, on top form.

Like Jude, Jobe came through the ranks at Birmingham and made his debut as a 16-year-old.

He made the switch to Sunderland for a fee of £1.5 million in the summer as a 17-year-old and has scored four times in 26 appearances from midfield.

Image: Getty
Image: Getty

And ahead of what could be the biggest game of his career, it's emerged that Newcastle were in for Bellingham in the summer.

The Daily Mail say that talks were held with Bellingham's family over a permanent transfer.

However, Newcastle's plan was to integrate Bellingham into their under-age ranks.

Image: Getty
Image: Getty

Bellingham wanted first-team football and so chose Sunderland, who had invited his family to games in a bid to convince him to join.

Sunderland's sporting director Kristjaan Speakman knows Bellingham from when he was academy manager at Birmingham.

Newcastle remain admirers of Bellingham and are believed to still be watching him in action this season.

They will get an even closer look at him when he comes up against Eddie Howe's side in a huge clash.

As soon as the draw was made, the England youth international could not hide his excitement.

“We couldn’t believe it when the draw happened,” he told Sky Sports.

“We were all as buzzing as you can imagine. Hopefully we can bring some pride to the fans.”

Featured Image Credit: Getty & Sunderland

Topics: Jude Bellingham, Sunderland, Newcastle United, FA Cup

Josh Lawless
Josh Lawless

Josh is a sports journalist who specialises in football and WWE. He has been published by Curzon Ashton FC, Late Tackle, Manchester City FC, The Mirror, Read Man City and Manchester Evening News. He provides coverage of professional wrestling and has covered two WrestleMania events for SPORTbible.

X

@joshlawless_

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

an hour ago
2 hours ago
3 hours ago
  • Getty Images
    an hour ago

    Final Champions League spot could be decided by play-off as unthinkable scenario unfolds

    This has never happened before, but it's genuinely possible with a game left to play in the Premier League.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    an hour ago

    Declan Rice has the coldest response to Arsenal’s first Premier League title win in 22 years

    Arsenal are the 2026 Premier League champions and Rice made sure to celebrate.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    2 hours ago

    'I've studied Pep for a while' - Micah Richards reacts to Pep Guardiola's response to exit rumours

    Richards also said Manchester City's players went against the club's ethos as they surrendered the Premier League title to Arsenal.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    3 hours ago

    Pep Guardiola responds to rumours he will leave Manchester City after Premier League title loss

    The Manchester City boss has finally broken his silence on the rumours.

    Football
  • Sunderland release statement after stadium is redecorated with Newcastle United banners
  • The reason why Jobe Bellingham doesn't have Bellingham on the back of his shirt
  • Premier League team want to sign Jobe Bellingham in January
  • Compilation of Jobe Bellingham's performance for England Under-19s is going viral