sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Man City could miss out on signing world-class player this summer due to FA investigation
Home>Football>Football News>Man City
Published 10:28 21 May 2024 GMT+1

Man City could miss out on signing world-class player this summer due to FA investigation

City could miss out on a key signing.

Ryan Smart

Ryan Smart

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Manchester City could miss out on signing West Ham star Lucas Paqueta for a second consecutive summer - as he is under an FA investigation.

Foot Mercato's Santi Aouna reported on Monday that City were due to open talks with West Ham over the Brazilian international, with personal terms 'already agreed'.

Pep Guardiola's side had agreed an initial £70 million deal to sign the midfielder last summer, but it emerged days later that Paqueta had been placed under investigation by the FA.

The investigation is into alleged betting breaches, and centres around three yellow cards that the 26-year-old received during the 2022/23 season.

Advert

The bets were not placed by Paqueta, as per Sky Sports, and he has denied any wrongdoing.

A betting authority noted that a 'larger than usual number of bets' had been placed in Brazil, before then reporting their findings to FIFA and the FA.

The midfielder has continued to play for West Ham throughout the length of the investigation, and was called up to the Brazil national squad for recent friendlies against England and Spain back in March.

As the summer transfer window begins, however, the FA have still not concluded the investigation - with Sky Sports reporting that the probe was the reason why City decided not to proceed with the deal to sign the playmaker last year.

Lucas Paqueta celebrates after scoring for West Ham against Nottingham Forest (
Getty)

Speaking in March (via BBC Sport), Paqueta said: "It's been seven months since it [the investigation] happened and I'm co-operating as much as I can.

"West Ham have always supported me. There was no reason for them not to do what they did, which was nothing more than put their player out there to play soccer.

"I'm happy to be helping, I hope to help at the end of the season."

The Guardian claimed last month that City would proceed with their interest in Paqueta this summer - but only if the betting investigation into the midfielder was dropped by the time the transfer window officially opens on June 14.

Featured Image Credit: Getty

Topics: Manchester City, Premier League, Football, Transfers, Pep Guardiola

Ryan Smart
Ryan Smart

Live in constant hope of the top flight as a Preston North End fan. Written in the past for SPORF, GiveMeSport and more.

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

13 mins ago
2 hours ago
4 hours ago
  • Getty Images
    13 mins ago

    Pep Guardiola to leave Manchester City after final game against Aston Villa

    Guardiola is expected to leave City after nine seasons in charge.

    Football
  • Getty
    2 hours ago

    Croatia announce 26-man World Cup squad as decisions made on Modric and Gvardiol

    The European nation begin their tournament against England on June 17.

    Football
  • Getty
    2 hours ago

    Jamie Carragher reignites Mo Salah feud branding Liverpool man selfish live on MNF

    Salah demanded a return to 'heavy metal football' in an apparent parting swipe at Arne Slot

    Football
  • Getty
    4 hours ago

    PGMO reveal whether Man Utd 'handball' against Nottingham Forest was the wrong decision as update issued

    Bryan Mbeumo handball should have seen Man Utd goal disallowed, admits referees' body

    Football
  • Pep Guardiola issues huge update on Man City exit hours before FA Cup final against Chelsea
  • Pep Guardiola delivers hilarious moment in press conference after Man City beat Brentford
  • Pep Guardiola gives green light to another world-class signing as Man City deadline revealed
  • Pep Guardiola to leave Manchester City after final game against Aston Villa