sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Man City fans starting to turn on crowd favourite and say 'this isn't the real him' after Spurs horror show
Home>Football>Football News>Man City
Published 12:40 31 Oct 2024 GMT

Man City fans starting to turn on crowd favourite and say 'this isn't the real him' after Spurs horror show

City were knocked out of the Carabao Cup by Tottenham on Wednesday.

Ryan Smart

Ryan Smart

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Manchester City fans criticised one first team player after their 2-1 defeat to Tottenham in the Carabao Cup.

City boss Pep Guardiola fielded a largely second-string side at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium amid the club's ongoing injury crisis.

The Spaniard commented in his post-match interview that City only have 13 fit outfield players, as well as goalkeepers Ederson and Stefan Ortega.

Savinho also appeared to suffer a potentially serious injury during the defeat, which knocked City out of the Carabao Cup at the last 16 stage.

Advert

But despite the injury issues, City fans were still not happy with the team's performance in north London. And one player received significant criticism.

Captain Ilkay Gundogan, who started the fixture but was taken off at half-time, didn't impress supporters.

One fan wrote: "No wonder Barca wanted Gundogan off the books."

A second said: "Gundogan and Foden... we need you to step up in the next three games badly. Especially Gundogan who had a stinker of a game before he got hooked at half time today."

A third added: "Unfortunately Gundogan is not the same player."

A fourth stated: "Nunes should be starting over Gundogan in midfield when Doku and Grealish return from injuries."

While a fifth opined: "Not much to take away from that game with so many youngsters playing. The two main worries - Gundogan's performance and Savinho's injury."

Gundogan re-signed for City in the summer on a free transfer after spending a season at Barcelona.

The 34-year-old has been a regular starter in all competitions, and scored his first goal of the season in City's 4-0 win over Slovan Bratislava in the Champions League last month.

It remains to be seen whether he will start City's Premier League away clash at Bournemouth on Saturday, with Guardiola well-stocked in midfield compared to other areas of the pitch - particularly with Mateo Kovacic and Bernardo Silva on the bench against Spurs.

Featured Image Credit: Getty

Topics: Manchester City, Football, Premier League, Carabao Cup, Fan Reactions

Ryan Smart
Ryan Smart

Live in constant hope of the top flight as a Preston North End fan. Written in the past for SPORF, GiveMeSport and more.

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

an hour ago
3 hours ago
  • Getty
    an hour ago

    Man City decide on first two signings under Enzo Maresca as private talks held

    Maresca is set to replace Pep Guardiola as Manchester City manager.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    3 hours ago

    Liverpool launch £92m raid for two players from the same club

    Arne Slot is clearly being backed by the board again as he launches another summer of spending

    Football
  • Getty Images
    3 hours ago

    Xabi Alonso prepared to unleash 6ft 7in Chelsea giant yet to play a game for the club

    The new Chelsea boss is wasting no time in making a massive change to the squad.

    Football
  • Getty
    3 hours ago

    'I've been told...' - Man City to lose third player in mass exodus amid Pep Guardiola exit rumours

    Guardiola is expected to leave Man City at the end of the season - and several more players could follow him out of the door.

    Football
  • Gary Neville drops Man City 115 charges theory that makes Ian Wright say 'Really?'
  • Lawyer reaches Man City 115 charges verdict after 'speaking to insiders'
  • Why Sheikh Mansour could be 'forced to sell Man City' by British government
  • Pep Guardiola issues huge update on Man City exit hours before FA Cup final against Chelsea