sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Liverpool handed devastating Xabi Alonso update as Spaniard 'makes shock decision'
Home>Football>Football News>Liverpool
Updated 21:36 28 Mar 2024 GMTPublished 21:20 28 Mar 2024 GMT

Liverpool handed devastating Xabi Alonso update as Spaniard 'makes shock decision'

Liverpool are set to not include Xabi Alonso on their manager shortlist.

Chris Byfield

Chris Byfield

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Liverpool won't include Xabi Alonso on their manager shortlist to replace Jurgen Klopp, it has been claimed.

Alonso has been the favourite to take over at Anfield ever since Klopp announced in January that he was set to stand down as Liverpool manager at the end of the season.

However, The Times claim that Liverpool are set to look elsewhere, with the Merseyside outfit believing the Spaniard will not be available this summer.

The development will boost the chances of Sporting head coach Ruben Amorim and Brighton and Hove Albion manager Roberto De Zerbi.

Advert

Alonso allegedly wants to remain at Leverkusen for another season, having joined them in October 2022 when the German outfit were languishing in the relegation zone.

He has transformed their fortunes to such an extent that the club are unbeaten in all competitions this term and some ten points clear of second-place Bayern Munich at the Bundesliga summit.

Bayern are also interested in Alonso, with the Bavarian giants set to part ways with Thomas Tuchel at the end of the season.

Bayern have been public in the pursuit of the 42-year-old, though honorary president Uli Hoeness suggested on Thursday that it would be “impossible” to lure Alonso away from Leverkusen.

Alonso is reportedly set to stay at Leverkusen this summer (Getty)
Alonso is reportedly set to stay at Leverkusen this summer (Getty)

“We’ll have to see if we can do it this year,” he admitted. “It will be difficult, if not probably impossible.

“[Alonso] is more inclined to stay at Bayer Leverkusen in view of their current successes, because he would not want to leave them behind,” Hoeness said. “Let’s say if he had two or three more years of success, it would probably be easier to bring him out of there.”

The Times claim that Liverpool had already arrived at this conclusion on Alonso after extensive background checks which focused on establishing the suitability and availability of potential Klopp replacements.

Featured Image Credit: Getty

Topics: Liverpool, Jurgen Klopp, Xabi Alonso, Premier League, Football, Anfield

Chris Byfield
Chris Byfield

Sport journalist with experience writing on football, rugby, boxing and the Olympics. I'm also a Crystal Palace fan. Please don't hold this against me.

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

7 hours ago
8 hours ago
10 hours ago
11 hours ago
  • Liverpool FC/Getty
    7 hours ago

    ‘That’s never going to happen to me again’: Mo Salah’s darkest moment explained by fellow Liverpool legend

    This almost broke the Egyptian.

    Football
  • Eddie Keogh/Stringer/Getty
    8 hours ago

    Pep Guardiola praised after speaking about the one regret he's ‘hid deep inside for many years'

    The Manchester City man still thinks about it.

    Football
  • Getty
    10 hours ago

    Jose Mourinho ready to axe TEN Real Madrid players including unthinkable name

    Mourinho is willing to sanction the sales of a host of Real Madrid stars - with some more surprising inclusions than others.

    Football
  • Getty
    11 hours ago

    Man Utd 'close in' on £140m double transfer including player Michael Carrick 'specifically wants'

    Michael Carrick was officially unveiled as United's new permanent head coach on Friday, having signed a two-year contract.

    Football
  • Xabi Alonso chooses his next club amid interest from Chelsea and Liverpool
  • David Ornstein drops Xabi Alonso bombshell amid Chelsea and Liverpool links
  • David Ornstein drops update on Xabi Alonso, Arne Slot and one key Liverpool player
  • Chelsea are already planning first signing of the Xabi Alonso era