sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Liverpool legend has new theory on why Xabi Alonso rejected the chance to become club's new boss, nobody has said this so far
Home>Football>Football News>Liverpool
Published 14:12 25 May 2024 GMT+1

Liverpool legend has new theory on why Xabi Alonso rejected the chance to become club's new boss, nobody has said this so far

Xabi Alonso turned down the chance to replace Jurgen Klopp at Liverpool.

Nasir Jabbar

Nasir Jabbar

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Liverpool legend Mark Lawrenson has come up with a theory as to why Xabi Alonso turned down the chance to replace Jurgen Klopp at Anfield.

Former Liverpool midfielder Alonso, who won the Champions League with the club in their famous comeback win over AC Milan back in 2005, was immediately linked with replacing Klopp following his shock announcement.

But Alonso stunned fans and critics alike when he pledged his future to Bayer Leverkusen following a remarkable campaign this season as he revealed the main reason why he rejected his old side.

Advert

As a result, the Premier League giants pursued Arne Slot, who penned a three-year deal at Liverpool and identified four key players that he wants to build his team around next season.

Ex-Reds defender Lawrenson reckons the 42-year-old didn't want to be the man to follow the German boss, considering the struggles that Manchester United have endured since Sir Alex Ferguson walked away from Old Trafford in 2013.

The 66-year-old, however, believes the Spaniard would want the job in the future, possibly after Slot.

"The people I speak to, and I feel the same, think maybe the time to get the job was after Mr Slot. The pressure now will be immense and maybe Alonso has been really cute by saying 'I’d love to have the job but not yet', and that’s the way of the world," he explained.

"They will back him, though. There is no doubt about that because that’s the way the football club is. They know he’s going to be different, and anyone who doesn’t realise that is not a proper Liverpool fan."

Xabi Alonso during the Europa League final. Image: Getty
Xabi Alonso during the Europa League final. Image: Getty

Sporting CP coach Ruben Amorim was also rumoured to replace Klopp before Liverpool opted for Slot, who will formally take up the position on June 1 ahead of the 2024/25 season.

Alonso, meanwhile, has led Leverkusen to the Bundesliga title and could secure a league and cup double with a win over Kaiserslautern in today's DFB-Pokal cup final.

Featured Image Credit: Getty

Topics: Liverpool, Jurgen Klopp, Xabi Alonso, Football

Nasir Jabbar
Nasir Jabbar

Nasir Jabbar is a journalist at SPORTbible. He graduated from Bath Spa University with a BA in Media Communications. He's a combat sport aficionado and has contributed to MMA websites AddictedMMA and CagePotato. Nasir has covered some of the biggest fights, while interviewing the likes of Conor McGregor, Anthony Joshua, Tyson Fury and Darren Till. He's also an avid Bristol City fan.

X

@NasJabbar

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

11 mins ago
an hour ago
2 hours ago
3 hours ago
  • Image Credit: Getty Images
    11 mins ago

    Newcastle set to receive FIFA compensation fee after Alexander Isak transfer to Liverpool

    The Alexander Isak funds continue to pour in despite Liverpool being paid up

    Football
  • Getty Images
    an hour ago

    Man City handed second blow as player decides to leave with Pep Guardiola

    Manchester City is being faced with a huge rebuild project in the summer transfer window as another icon walks out with Pep

    Football
  • Getty
    2 hours ago

    Arsenal player 'open to leaving the club' after winning Premier League title

    The Arsenal star became a Premier League champion but could move on this summer.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    3 hours ago

    Bombshell report into spygate scandal reveals 'disguise' used by Southampton

    More shocking details from Southampton's spying ahead of the play-off final have emerged.

    Football
  • Liverpool icon reveals inside information about Xabi Alonso's decision to reject the club
  • Bayer Leverkusen star makes Liverpool transfer admission and could follow Xabi Alonso
  • Liverpool ‘identify two alternatives’ to replace Jurgen Klopp following Xabi Alonso 'blow'
  • Police warn Liverpool fans not to fall for Xabi Alonso scam after Jurgen Klopp announcement