sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Lionel Messi reveals his surprise pick to win the Ballon d'Or and claims he 'deserves it more than anyone'
Home>Football>Football News
Updated 17:27 16 Oct 2024 GMT+1Published 17:10 16 Oct 2024 GMT+1

Lionel Messi reveals his surprise pick to win the Ballon d'Or and claims he 'deserves it more than anyone'

Lionel Messi revealed his surprise pick to win the Ballon d’Or.

Chris Byfield

Chris Byfield

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Lionel Messi revealed his surprise pick to win the Ballon d’Or.

On Tuesday Messi scored his 10 international hat-trick as Argentina dismantled Bolivia 6-0 in World Cup qualifying.

In turn, the 37-year-old, who also provided two assists for his team-mates, moved level with Cristiano Ronaldo for the player with the most hat-tricks in men’s international football.

Speaking to TYC Sports after the game, Messi, who has a record eight Ballon d’Ors, claimed that international team-mate Lautaro Martinez deserves to win this year’s iteration of the award.

Advert

Messi said: “Lautaro deserves the Ballon D’Or more than anyone. He had a spectacular year, he scored a goal in the [Copa America] final, he was the top scorer in Copa America.”

Meanwhile, Martinez, who netted 24 times and registered six assists in 33 appearances in last year’s Serie A, added that he believed he should be in contention for the Ballon d’Or this year.

He said: “I don’t know if I deserve to win the Ballon D’Or but after the spectacular year I had I deserve to be up there”

Elsewhere, Messi acknowledged that his international career was approaching its end, when he refused to say whether he would play in the 2026 World Cup.

Messi scored his 10th international hat-trick when Argentina took on Bolivia (Getty)
Messi scored his 10th international hat-trick when Argentina took on Bolivia (Getty)

“I didn’t set any date or deadline about my future,” Messi said. “I’m just enjoying all this. I am more emotional than ever and taking all the love from the people because I know these can be my last games.”

Messi added: “It’s a joy to be present and appreciate this moment. Being surrounded by younger teammates, given my age, makes me feel like a kid again.

“I find myself doing silly things because I feel so comfortable. As long as I maintain that feeling and can continue contributing to the team, I plan to be here enjoying [the national team].”

Featured Image Credit: Clank! and Getty

Topics: Lionel Messi, Ballon d'Or, Lautaro Martinez, Argentina, Cristiano Ronaldo, Copa America

Chris Byfield
Chris Byfield

Sport journalist with experience writing on football, rugby, boxing and the Olympics. I'm also a Crystal Palace fan. Please don't hold this against me.

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

  • Lionel Messi Broke Ballon d'Or Protocol to Make Incredible Gesture
  • Every Player Messi and Ronaldo Voted for in FIFA Best and Ballon d'Or Awards
  • Cristiano Ronaldo Holds Little-Known Ballon d'Or Record over Lionel Messi
  • Ten players tipped to win Super Ballon d'Or award that's only been given out once in history

Choose your content:

an hour ago
2 hours ago
3 hours ago
  • Getty Images
    an hour ago

    Marcus Rashford forced to release statement addressing controversial post minutes after England call-up

    The freshly-recalled winger had to release a statement defending his former club after he snubbed them in a celebratory post

    Football
  • Getty Images
    2 hours ago

    Thomas Tuchel issues response to Harry Maguire's statement about failing to make England squad

    The England boss didn't hold back in his first comments after announcing the World Cup squad

    Football
  • Getty Images
    2 hours ago

    Pep Guardiola accepts next job role after confirming Man City exit in emotional statement

    Guardiola's departure was confirmed on Friday.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    3 hours ago

    Three uncapped England players will travel with World Cup squad despite not being picked

    Tuchel has named his 26-man squad, but three extra names will travel to North America.

    Football