sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Jose Mourinho reveals genius tactic he's been working on that would allow teams to have 'extra player'
Home>Football>Football News
Updated 14:13 22 Apr 2024 GMT+1Published 12:25 22 Apr 2024 GMT+1

Jose Mourinho reveals genius tactic he's been working on that would allow teams to have 'extra player'

Mourinho could return to management with a genius new tactic

Marcus Banks

Marcus Banks

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Jose Mourinho is still without a job after leaving Roma but has been working on a tactic that could change the game forever.

The 61-year-old was dismissed by the Italian side in January, a decision that left some Roma supporters in tears given Mourinho had guided them to back-to-back European cup finals, winning the UEFA Conference League in 2022.

It was Roma’s first trophy in 11 years and Mourinho became the only manager to achieve the modern-day UEFA treble of the Champions League, Europa League and Conference League.

Many reports claim the ex-Manchester United and Chelsea manager is keen on a return to the Premier League in his next managerial venture and he has been heavily linked with a switch to Newcastle.

Advert

Despite not managing, Mourinho revealed to The Telegraph that he is still working on new tactics and innovations to bring to his next club including a strategy that could change how the modern game is played forever.

‘The Special One’ believes that soon a leading manager chasing a game will substitute his goalkeeper for an extra outfield player. The outfield player will be obliged to wear a goalkeeper shirt but gloves are optional and he will be able to play as an extra player contributing to the attack.

When asked whether he could use this tactic himself, Mourinho said: “To have an extra player there … when the opposition is very low in the block and 10 minutes left? Let’s try it – yeah!”

He added: "Why do you play with a goalkeeper, even if he is good with his feet, almost in the midfield, if you can do that with a proper player? I can see that substitution happening.

"And the coach who does it will be considered a genius."

Mourinho was sacked by Roma.
Mourinho was sacked by Roma.

Mourinho’s next move remains unclear but the Portuguese confirmed he is not planning on retiring any time soon.

He said: “It is not like I am 61 and I want to stop at 65.

“No way at all. There is still a long career to go.”

Saudi Pro League clubs remain the bookies’ favourite for Mourinho’s next destination followed by Newcastle and Chelsea. He was spotted in the stands for Liverpool’s win against Fulham on Sunday, prompting speculation on social media that he could be in the running to replace the departing Jurgen Klopp but a move to Anfield remains extremely unlikely.

Featured Image Credit: Vibe With Five YouTube/Getty

Topics: Jose Mourinho, Roma, Premier League

Marcus Banks
Marcus Banks

Marcus Banks is a social media editor for SPORTbible. He previously worked for publications such as the Liverpool Echo, Daily Mirror, Manchester Evening News and Dexerto. Specialises in football and MMA.

X

@MarcusBanksX

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

2 hours ago
3 hours ago
  • Getty Images
    2 hours ago

    Marcus Rashford forced to release statement addressing controversial post minutes after England call-up

    The freshly-recalled winger had to release a statement defending his former club after he snubbed them in a celebratory post

    Football
  • Getty Images
    3 hours ago

    Thomas Tuchel issues response to Harry Maguire's statement about failing to make England squad

    The England boss didn't hold back in his first comments after announcing the World Cup squad

    Football
  • Getty Images
    3 hours ago

    Pep Guardiola accepts next job role after confirming Man City exit in emotional statement

    Guardiola's departure was confirmed on Friday.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    3 hours ago

    Three uncapped England players will travel with World Cup squad despite not being picked

    Tuchel has named his 26-man squad, but three extra names will travel to North America.

    Football
  • Why Jose Mourinho refused to sign the one player Sir Alex Ferguson told him to bring to Man Utd
  • Jose Mourinho has already made his feelings clear on Bastian Schweinsteiger’s treatment at Man Utd
  • Jose Mourinho sacking at Roma could cost Chelsea £37m due to 'private agreement'
  • Jose Mourinho goes on yet another rant, brutally singles out one Roma player