Jeff Stelling's instant response after confirming break from talkSPORT on air

Home> Football> Football News

Jeff Stelling's instant response after confirming break from talkSPORT on air

The broadcaster confirmed that the host would be taking a step back from coverage in a now-deleted post.

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Jeff Stelling has issued a response after talkSPORT confirmed he would be taking a break from providing coverage in a now-deleted X post.

After leaving Sky Sports in 2023 following 30 years with the broadcaster, the 70-year-old presenter joined the UK’s most-listened-to sports radio station and currently hosts the Breakfast show alongside former Rangers and Scotland forward Ally McCoist from 6am to 10am on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.

Ex-Ipswich forward Alan Brazil shares hosting duties with Stelling.

Tuesday’s (17 February) show appeared like any other until the Hartlepool-born host dropped a bombshell which no doubt surprised listeners.

At the end of the programme, he confirmed that he would be taking a break from hosting duties.

“We’ve had so many texts [on today’s show] that I’m going to have to take a break, which is what I’m going to do,” he said.

Jeff Stelling is taking a break from talkSPORT (Credit:Getty)
Jeff Stelling is taking a break from talkSPORT (Credit:Getty)

This came just weeks after Brazil was taken off air during a show in January, before the Scot took a few weeks off.

He later confirmed that he had contracted an ear infection.

“I had a big infection in my right ear and my left ear was blocked… I was sat here thinking I was going to fall off my chair,” Brazil has explained since.

“That’s the worst I’ve been — terrible.”

talkSPORT then posted a graphic confirming Stelling’s break on its social media channels, which provoked a reaction from fans, with many asking why the broadcasting legend was taking a step back.

Stelling then replied via his own social media.

“Just for clarity, couple of weeks off,” he wrote in reply to talkSPORT’s now-deleted X post.

“I’m just going to chill out for a bit of rest and relaxation,” Stelling had already confirmed on the Breakfast show.

“I’ll see you when I’m back.”

Brazil will step in during Stelling’s absence.

Meanwhile, fans of the show were quick to react to Stelling’s response on social media.

One said: “Victim of talkSPORT’s own clickbait. Have a word, Jeff.”

Another added: “So taking annual leave then.”

While a third commented: “Lol, they were ready to write your obituary, Jeff! Enjoy your break.”

Featured Image Credit: talkSPORT/YouTube

Topics: Jeff Stelling