sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Donald Trump takes clear stance after Gianni Infantino confirms Iran will play in World Cup
Home>Football>Football News>FIFA World Cup
Updated 09:41 1 May 2026 GMT+1Published 07:49 1 May 2026 GMT+1

Donald Trump takes clear stance after Gianni Infantino confirms Iran will play in World Cup

Infantino told a FIFA congress in Vancouver on Thursday that Iran will be playing at the 2026 World Cup as planned.

Ryan Smart

Ryan Smart

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Donald Trump has made his stance clear after FIFA president Gianni Infantino's confirmation that Iran will participate in the 2026 World Cup.

Speculation surrounding Iran's entry has dominated coverage of the build-up to the tournament, which begins in June, over recent months.

US and Israel are currently involved in conflict against Iran, which began with strikes on Iran and the killing of its Ayotollah, Ali Khamenei.

Iran launched retaliatory attacks on US and Israeli military bases across the West Region of the Middle East and, while the aerial conflict continues, a new dispute has opened up surrounding the Strait of Hormuz, a key shipping route controlled by Iran.

Advert

Iran's sports minister said in March that 'under no circumstances' could his nation pull out of the World Cup, but there was never an official announcement made surrounding their participation.

Last week, US secretary of state Marco Rubio confirmed that Iran's athletes would be welcome in the United States for the tournament, but warned that anybody connected with the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IGRC) - which the US proscribed as a terrorist organisation in 2019 - would be barred from entry.

Read more: US secretary of state issues statement on Iran playing at World Cup as major 'problem' revealed

Now, Infantino has confirmed that Iran will play all of their three Group G games, against Belgium, Egypt and New Zealand, in the United States as scheduled.

"Of course, Iran will be participating at the FIFA World Cup 2026," Infantino told a FIFA congress in Vancouver on Thursday. "And of course, Iran will play in the United States of America.

"The reason for that is simple, because we have to unite. We have to bring people together.

"There are enough problems around the world. There are enough people who try to divide all over the world. If nobody tries to unite, what will happen to our world?

"We have to do it, and we have this opportunity."

'If Gianni said it' - Trump on Iran World Cup entry

During a media conference at the White House on Thursday, President Trump was quizzed on Infantino's comments given the sensitivity surrounding the US conflict with Iran.

"Well if Gianni said it, I'm OK," Trump replied. "Did Gianni say it? Gianni Infantino - that's a piece of work.

"You know what? Let them play. Gianni is fantastic. He's a friend of mine. He talked about it, I said, 'You do whatever you want. You can have them, you don't have to have them'.

Donald Trump addressed Iran's participation at the World Cup after signing a new executive order (Image: Getty)
Donald Trump addressed Iran's participation at the World Cup after signing a new executive order (Image: Getty)

"They probably have a good team. Do they have a good team, do you have any idea?" he asked the reporters.

"It would be hard to believe, actually. But let them play, right?"

The President was also asked what would happen in the unlikely event that Iran won the World Cup: "If they win, we'll have to worry about that. I'm going to have to worry about that one."

Although Iran are one of the outsiders at the World Cup, they did reach the semi-finals of the Asian Cup back in 2023 and were one of the first nations to qualify for the tournament co-hosted by the US, Canada and Mexico.

With up to three teams from each group qualifying for the expanded round of 32 stage, Iran will see matches against Egypt and New Zealand as key opportunities given they are placed higher in the FIFA World Rankings than both nations.

Featured Image Credit: Getty

Topics: Donald Trump, FIFA, Gianni Infantino

Ryan Smart
Ryan Smart

Live in constant hope of the top flight as a Preston North End fan. Written in the past for SPORF, GiveMeSport and more.

Recommended reads

Ronnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'GettyAteba Gautier was called the 'future' by Joe Rogan, but he's more interested in what his cats thinkMike Roach/Zuffa LLC

Advert

Choose your content:

11 mins ago
an hour ago
2 hours ago
  • Getty
    11 mins ago

    Liverpool consider U-turn to sack Arne Slot after Mo Salah comments, with FOUR replacements considered

    Liverpool hero Salah criticised the team's style of play after Aston Villa defeat, piling yet more pressure on Slot

    Football
  • Getty
    an hour ago

    23-year-old footballer speaks publicly after being stabbed seven times in Huntingdon train attack

    Jonathan Gjoshe was seriously injured in the knife attack in November 2025

    Football
  • Getty Images
    an hour ago

    Jose Mourinho has already identified his first major signing for Real Madrid and it would be huge

    Mourinho is on the verge of becoming Real Madrid manager for a second time.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    2 hours ago

    Casemiro's name is purposefully spelt wrong on the back of his Man Utd shirt

    The Brazilian says he is a superstitious person.

    Football
  • Here’s why you won’t want to miss the Sunday League game so big the BBC is streaming it
  • Gianni Infantino criticised for actions when on stage with Israel and Palestine officials
  • White House issues statement on Trump’s stance over Iran’s World Cup participation
  • FIFA release statement on Iran after Gianni Infantino meets with Donald Trump ahead of World Cup