• Football
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • Home
  • Football
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • Lionel Messi
    • Cristiano Ronaldo
    • EA FC 25
    • Wrexham
  • Boxing
    • Tyson Fury
    • Anthony Joshua
    • Oleksandr Usyk
    • Mike Tyson
    • Jake Paul
    • Logan Paul
  • UFC
    • Dana White
    • Conor McGregor
    • Khabib Nurmagomedov
    • Jon Jones
    • Paddy Pimblett
    • Joe Rogan
  • Other Sport
    • Athletics
    • Formula 1
    • MMA
    • Motorsport
    • NBA
    • Darts
    • NFL
    • Snooker
    • Wrestling
    • Tennis
    • Cricket
    • Golf
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • UNILAD
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube
FIFA issue statement over banning Israel from international football after calls from Palestine FA

Home> Football> Football News

Updated 18:06 3 Oct 2024 GMT+1Published 18:00 3 Oct 2024 GMT+1

FIFA issue statement over banning Israel from international football after calls from Palestine FA

The Palestine Football Association has called for FIFA to suspend Israel.

Jack Kenmare

Jack Kenmare

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

The FIFA Council has responded to a proposal submitted by the Palestine Football Association [PFA] regarding the Israel Football Association.

Earlier this year, the PFA called for a vote at FIFA's congress to suspend Israel because of the ongoing war in Gaza.

The Palestine Football Association believes Israel's federation has committed "violations of FIFA regulations" and wants sanctions against the country's national teams and clubs.

In response to calls for a ban, IFF president Shino Moshe Zuares said they are facing "a cynical political and hostile attempt by the Palestinian association to harm Israeli football."

Advert

At the the FIFA annual congress in May, Zuares added: “Make no mistake, the IFA never violated rules set by FIFA and UEFA and will never do so in the future.”

Image credit: Getty
Image credit: Getty

FIFA president Gianni Infantino said it was a matter for the FIFA Council to make a decision on following a legal assessment.

And on Thursday, the FIFA Council met in Zurich to take key decisions on FIFA Member Associations and upcoming FIFA competitions, including the proposal submitted by the PFA regarding the IFA.

In short, the FIFA Council has ordered investigations into alleged breaches of its rules by Israel.

FIFA published the below statement on their website following Thursday's meeting.

"In relation to the proposal submitted by the Palestine Football Association regarding the Israel Football Association at the 74th FIFA Congress, the FIFA Council adopted the following recommendations and conclusions reached in the independent legal analysis mandated by FIFA:

-- The FIFA Disciplinary Committee will be mandated to initiate an investigation into the alleged offence of discrimination raised by the Palestine Football Association.

-- The FIFA Governance, Audit and Compliance Committee will be entrusted with the mission to investigate – and subsequently advise the FIFA Council on – the participation in Israeli competitions of Israeli football teams allegedly based in the territory of Palestine."

Image credit: Getty
Image credit: Getty

Article 4 of the FIFA Statutes strictly prohibits “discrimination of any kind against a country ... or group of people” on any grounds, and says any breach of this non-discrimination obligation is punishable by “suspension or expulsion”.

FIFA president Gianni Infantino also released a statement on the matter.

He said: “The FIFA Council has implemented due diligence on this very sensitive matter and, based on a thorough assessment, we have followed the advice of the independent experts.

"The ongoing violence in the region confirms that, above all considerations, and as stated at the 74th FIFA Congress, we need peace."

Infantino added: "As we remain extremely shocked by what is happening, and our thoughts are with those who are suffering, we urge all parties to restore peace to the region with immediate effect.”

Featured Image Credit: Getty Images

Topics: FIFA

Jack Kenmare
Jack Kenmare

Jack Kenmare is the Senior Journalist for SPORTbible, one of the world’s biggest social publishers. He specialises in long-form feature writing and has an encyclopedic knowledge of Football Manager wonderkids from 2005 to the present day. He has a BA (Hons) in Journalism and News Practice.

X

@jackkenmare_

Advert

Advert

Advert

Choose your content:

5 hours ago
6 hours ago
  • Getty
    5 hours ago

    Cole Palmer's friend drops Man Utd transfer bombshell on Instagram

    Cole Palmer's mate is trying to get the Chelsea star to sign for Manchester United.

    Football
  • Getty
    5 hours ago

    Arsenal fans are blaming one man if they don't win Premier League after Wolves draw

    Arsenal gave up a two-goal lead to draw 2-2 against Wolves at Molineux.

    Football
  • TNT Sports
    5 hours ago

    Kieran Trippier explains what happened during Anthony Gordon clash vs Qarabag

    Trippier and Gordon were involved in an angry exchange after the half-time whistle in Baku.

    Football
  • CBS Sports
    6 hours ago

    Kate Scott opens CBS Sports broadcast with must-see message after Vini Jr incident

    Kate Scott issued a powerful message following the incident involving Vinicius Junior.

    Football
  • FIFA issue statement on banning Israel from World Cup
  • FIFA issue lengthy statement after Gianluca Prestianni and Vinicius Jr incident
  • IOC issue statement on banning Israel from Olympic Games over Gaza war
  • IOC Issue Statement on Banning Israel from Olympics after Spanish Protest