• Football
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • Home
  • Football
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • Lionel Messi
    • Cristiano Ronaldo
    • EA FC 25
    • Wrexham
  • Boxing
    • Tyson Fury
    • Anthony Joshua
    • Oleksandr Usyk
    • Mike Tyson
    • Jake Paul
    • Logan Paul
  • UFC
    • Dana White
    • Conor McGregor
    • Khabib Nurmagomedov
    • Jon Jones
    • Paddy Pimblett
    • Joe Rogan
  • Other Sport
    • Athletics
    • Formula 1
    • MMA
    • Motorsport
    • NBA
    • Darts
    • NFL
    • Snooker
    • Wrestling
    • Tennis
    • Cricket
    • Golf
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • UNILAD
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube
Dani Alves has rape conviction overturned by Spanish court

Home> Football> Football News

Updated 11:22 28 Mar 2025 GMTPublished 10:44 28 Mar 2025 GMT

Dani Alves has rape conviction overturned by Spanish court

The former Brazil international had previously been found guilty.

Luke Davies

Luke Davies

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover
Featured Image Credit: Getty

Topics: Dani Alves, Barcelona

Luke Davies
Luke Davies

Journalist with expertise covering football, cricket, boxing and MMA.

X

@lukedaviesmedia

Advert

Advert

Advert

A Spanish court has overturned Dani Alves’ conviction after he was previously found guilty of raping a woman in a Barcelona nightclub.

Alves, 41, was first arrested in January 2023 and was later found guilty, in February 2024, of raping a woman in a Barcelona nightclub in December 2022, as per BBC. Alves denied wrongdoing during a three-day trial in February 2024.

The former Brazil international was sentenced to four and a half years in prison.

Prosecutors said Alves and his friend had purchased champagne for three young women before Alves “lured” one of them to a VIP area of a nightclub with a toilet.

Advert

An argument followed before they claimed he forced the woman to have sex despite her repeated requests to leave.

On Friday, the Catalan High Court overturned the conviction on appeal and acquitted Alves while he was currently on probation.

Relevo reports that Alves’ lawyers “directly asked for an acquittal” while the Prosector’s office requested an increased nine-year sentence.

But the High Court acquitted Alves due to "insufficient evidence".

"We are happy, he is innocent, justice has acted," said Irene Guardiola, Alves' lawyer.

"It has been very emotional, justice has been done."

Dani Alves in March 2024 (Credit:Getty)
Dani Alves in March 2024 (Credit:Getty)

"We expected this; it's fair," she added. "Alves is innocent; it's just been proven, and justice has finally been done. I'm thrilled. I believed it, and we're very happy."

The new ruling can be appealed.

Alves may now leave the country after the court also lifted a travel ban.

During his football career, Alves was considered to be one of the best right-backs in the world and made 408 appearances for Barcelona as well as representing Sevilla, Paris Saint-Germain and Juventus plus the Brazil national team 126 times.

The 41-year-old was at Mexican side Pumas when he was initially arrested and had his contract immediately terminated. It is unclear if Alves will return to the sport following the conclusion of the case.

Choose your content:

5 hours ago
6 hours ago
7 hours ago
  • X
    5 hours ago

    Kylian Mbappe gives explosive interview as he reveals alleged racist comment

    The Real Madrid star has revealed the alleged comment made towards Vinicius Junior during the Champions League match.

    Football
  • Getty/ Amazon Prime
    6 hours ago

    Jose Mourinho slammed for comments on Vini Jr incident as pundits left speechless

    The Benfica boss has revealed exactly what he said to Vinicius Junior following the alleged racist incident.

    Football
  • Getty
    6 hours ago

    Trent Alexander-Arnold speaks out on Vini Jr incident as Brazilian issues statement

    The Real Madrid right-back spoke to Amazon Prime after an eventful night in Lisbon.

    Football
  • Prime Video
    7 hours ago

    Gianluca Prestianni takes immediate action following incident with Vini Jr

    The Benfica winger was involved in an incident with the Real Madrid man during the second half of the Champions League play-off first leg.

    Football
  • Dani Alves Begins New Career Following Overturned Rape Conviction
  • Ex-Barcelona and Brazil footballer Dani Alves jailed after being found guilty of nightclub rape
  • Dani Alves Delivers Glorious Assist On La Liga Return Aged 38
  • Dani Alves Avoids Stepping On Barcelona's Badge, His Influence Is Huge As Youngster Copies Him