sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Vini Jr gives perfect response to Man City Ballon d’Or taunts in dramatic Real Madrid comeback win
Home>Football>Football News>Champions League
Updated 23:14 11 Feb 2025 GMTPublished 23:04 11 Feb 2025 GMT

Vini Jr gives perfect response to Man City Ballon d’Or taunts in dramatic Real Madrid comeback win

The Real Madrid man had the last laugh as his side came away with a 3-2 comeback win against Manchester City at the Etihad.

Luke Davies

Luke Davies

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Vinicius Jr issued a cold response to fans who were taunting him during Real Madrid’s 3-2 win against Manchester City in the first leg of the Champions League play-off.

Vini Jr, 24, was the subject of media interest coming into the fixture following the chaos that occurred after he came second in the race for the Ballon d’Or back in October 2024.

As you may know, the Brazilian looked likely to receive the award only for the results to confirm that it was, in fact, Rodri who reigned supreme.

Madrid boycotted the ceremony, something their manager, Carlo Ancelotti, was asked about earlier this week.

Advert

"I don't think it was the wrong decision,” said Ancelotti.

"We thought Vini was the winner of the Ballon D'Or. It doesn't mean we don't respect Rodri because he is a fantastic player. I think Rodri deserved to win it the year before."

While Pep Guardiola was not willing to criticise Madrid and gave a diplomatic answer when asked about the situation.

"I was happy for Rodri, but Vinicius made an extraordinary year as well," he said. "He could deserve it, like in the past when [Lionel] Messi and Cristiano [Ronaldo] were fighting for it. So, the subject is over."

However, ahead of Tuesday’s game, City fans displayed a banner with an image of Rodri kissing the Ballon d’Or and the words “Stop crying your heart out” emblazoned on it, seemingly as a dig towards Madrid and Vini Jr.

Even Rodri was impressed as he was spotted filming from the stands.

However, it was ultimately Vini Jr who had the last laugh as his side scored two late goals to take a one-goal advantage into next Wednesday’s second leg.

Vinicius Jr helped his side to a 3-2 win against Manchester City (Credit:Getty)
Vinicius Jr helped his side to a 3-2 win against Manchester City (Credit:Getty)

Throughout the game, the forward was goaded by the home side’s fans with a chant of “Where’s your Ballon d'Or?”

Footage of the Brazil international pointing to the Champions League emblem – with the number 15 on it to symbolise the amount of titles the club have won - on the sleeve of Madrid’s shirt emerged online, and now he has spoken out about the banner.

“I saw the banner from Man City fans… and it motivated me even more,” said Vinicius after the game.

“Whenever rival fans do things, it gives me more strength to play a great game.”

Ancelotti, 65, also weighed in with his take.

He said: “Rodri Ballon d'Or banner? I don't know if Vini saw that, but looking at the game, if he did see it, it was a huge motivation for him.”

Featured Image Credit: Getty

Topics: Real Madrid, Manchester City, Champions League, Vinicius Jr, Rodri, Ballon d'Or, Football

Luke Davies
Luke Davies

Journalist with expertise covering football, cricket, boxing and MMA.

X

@lukedaviesmedia

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

15 mins ago
10 hours ago
11 hours ago
13 hours ago
  • Getty Images
    15 mins ago

    Joao Pedro issues statement after being left out of Brazil's World Cup squad as Carlo Ancelotti addresses decision

    To the surprise of many, Pedro has been left out alongside a number of other big names.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    10 hours ago

    Carlo Ancelotti announces 26-man Brazil World Cup squad as Neymar call made

    Brazil take on Morocco in their opening group match on June 13.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    11 hours ago

    Pep Guardiola to leave Manchester City after final game against Aston Villa as successor named

    Guardiola is expected to leave City after 10 seasons in charge.

    Football
  • Getty
    13 hours ago

    Croatia announce 26-man World Cup squad as decisions made on Modric and Gvardiol

    The European nation begin their tournament against England on June 17.

    Football
  • Vini Jr linked with shock Premier League move as Real Madrid tensions boil over
  • Real Madrid Could Boycott Ballon d’Or as Furious Stance Revealed
  • Shock Man City star 'offered to' Real Madrid ahead of Jose Mourinho appointment
  • Vinicius Jr Drops Cryptic Message After Being Axed From Real Madrid XI