sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Gianluca Prestianni takes immediate action following incident with Vini Jr
Home>Football>Football News>Champions League
Updated 22:21 17 Feb 2026 GMTPublished 22:03 17 Feb 2026 GMT

Gianluca Prestianni takes immediate action following incident with Vini Jr

The Benfica winger was involved in an incident with the Real Madrid man during the second half of the Champions League play-off first leg.

Luke Davies

Luke Davies

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Benfica winger Gianluca Prestianni has taken immediate action after becoming embroiled in an altercation with Vinícius Júnior during the Lisbon club’s Champions League play-off first leg.

On Tuesday (17 February), Álvaro Arbeloa’s Real Madrid took on José Mourinho’s Benfica in a repeat of gameweek eight of the league phase, which saw the Portuguese club’s goalkeeper, Anatoliy Trubin, head home a last-gasp header to confirm his team’s play-off spot. The goal also saw Real drop out of the automatic qualification spots for the knockout round, which set up the two-legged tie against tonight’s opponents.

And after a relatively low-key first half on Tuesday evening, Vinícius’ stunning right-footed strike handed the La Liga outfit the advantage before chaos ensued.

Shortly after the opening goal, referee François Letexier gestured that the racist abuse protocol had been activated following a complaint from Vinícius.

Advert

After being booked for excessive celebrations, the Brazil winger was involved in an altercation with Benfica’s Prestianni before he ran over to the referee.

Vinicius Junior and Gianluca Prestianni were involved in an altercation (Credit:Getty)
Vinicius Junior and Gianluca Prestianni were involved in an altercation (Credit:Getty)

The Real Madrid man then walked off the pitch and was quickly followed by his team-mates before play continued around 10 minutes later.

Vini also spoke with Benfica boss Mourinho while staff from both dugouts got involved.

The nature of what was said remains unclear at this time.

A member of the Real Madrid coaching staff was sent off later in the game before Mourinho was given his marching orders for a second yellow card.

Meanwhile, fans began commenting with Vinícius-related photographs and GIFs on Prestianni’s Instagram posts before whoever manages the page quickly disabled the comments.


Towards the end of the game Vini was hit with an object thrown from the Benfica section of Estadio da Luz.

Commentating for Prime, former England striker Alan Shearer said: "It has been an ugly second half. What we should be talking about is a special goal. I suspect the headlines will be very, very different."

He added: "A very difficult match for the referee to manage. I think he has handled the game as well as he could do in very difficult circumstances."

The return leg will take place at the Santiago Bernabeu on Wednesday 25 February. Before then Real will travel to Osasuna this Saturday (February 21).

Featured Image Credit: Prime Video

Topics: Football, Champions League, Real Madrid, Benfica, Vinicius Junior, Racism

Luke Davies
Luke Davies

Journalist with expertise covering football, cricket, boxing and MMA.

X

@lukedaviesmedia

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

  • Gianluca Prestianni deletes tweet hours before Real Madrid game after Vini Jr incident
  • Thierry Henry delivers emotional speech on incident between Vini Jr and Gianluca Prestianni
  • UEFA take action after Vini Jr and Gianluca Prestianni incident in new statement
  • New footage of Gianluca Prestianni incident with Vini Jr not shown on TV emerges

Choose your content:

23 mins ago
an hour ago
2 hours ago
  • Getty
    23 mins ago

    'We approached him' - Roberto Martinez reveals Premier League star refused Portugal call-up ahead of World Cup

    Roberto Martinez has revealed that the proposal to the player was unsuccessful.

    Football
  • Getty
    an hour ago

    Why Man City are set to pay Chelsea to replace Pep Guardiola with Enzo Maresca

    Manchester City have agreed a three-year deal with Enzo Maresca, who is set to replace Pep Guardiola.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    an hour ago

    Portugal announce final 26-man World Cup squad as two Premier League stars snubbed

    Roberto Martinez has announced his squad ahead of Portugal taking on DR Congo in their opening group match on June 17.

    Football
  • Getty
    2 hours ago

    Pep Guardiola next job odds: Shock favourite emerges as potential next move

    Guardiola is set to leave Man City

    Football