• Football
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • Home
  • Football
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • Lionel Messi
    • Cristiano Ronaldo
    • EA FC 25
    • Wrexham
  • Boxing
    • Tyson Fury
    • Anthony Joshua
    • Oleksandr Usyk
    • Mike Tyson
    • Jake Paul
    • Logan Paul
  • UFC
    • Dana White
    • Conor McGregor
    • Khabib Nurmagomedov
    • Jon Jones
    • Paddy Pimblett
    • Joe Rogan
  • Other Sport
    • Athletics
    • Formula 1
    • MMA
    • Motorsport
    • NBA
    • Darts
    • NFL
    • Snooker
    • Wrestling
    • Tennis
    • Cricket
    • Golf
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • UNILAD
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube
Burnley release statement after Rico Lewis was struck by missile

Home> Football> Football News

Updated 22:02 11 Aug 2023 GMT+1Published 22:01 11 Aug 2023 GMT+1

Burnley release statement after Rico Lewis was struck by missile

Burnley were up against Manchester City on Friday night

Marcus Chan

Marcus Chan

Burnley have released a strong statement after Manchester City player Rico Lewis was struck by an object thrown from the crowd.

Coming into the first match of the season, all eyes were firmly fixed on City as they look to get their Premier League defence off to the perfect start.

Up against Pep Guardiola’s men were Vincent Kompany’s Burnley, who played some stunning football on their way to Championship glory last season.

Advert

On Friday night at Turf Moor, City showed their class as they found themselves 2-0 up at half-time thanks to a brace from Erling Haaland.

However, during the first half, City defender Lewis was hit by an object thrown in his direction from the crowd.

On the back of the incident, Burnley have released a statement.

Advert

It said: “We are aware of an incident that happened in the first half of the match where a missile was thrown at Manchester City player Rico Lewis. This is unacceptable.

“The person responsible has been identified and removed from the ground by the police.”

The statement continued: “Any individual found guilty of throwing missiles within the stadium will receive a banning order.”

In the second half, last season’s Champions League winning goalscorer Rodri made it 3-0 after the ball fell perfectly into his path inside the penalty area.

Advert

Speaking whilst on commentary for Sky Sports, former England and Liverpool defender Jamie Carragher was full of praise for Haaland.

He said: “Haaland doesn't seem to bothered about the Community Shield. We saw it last season against Liverpool and again last week against Arsenal.

“But when it comes to the Premier League, he's right on it. He's on the bench with Pep, back to being best mates now.”

Image
Getty

Advert

The Premier League continues on Saturday with six matches set to take place, the likes of Arsenal, Newcastle and Brighton will all be in action.

Featured Image Credit: Getty/Sky Sports

Topics: Manchester City, Burnley, Premier League, Football

Marcus Chan
Marcus Chan

Advert

Advert

Advert

Choose your content:

an hour ago
2 hours ago
  • GettyGetty
    an hour ago

    Xavi Simons' Premier League move confirmed as 'medical completed' amid Chelsea and Tottenham interest

    The RB Leipzig star is set to move to the Premier League.

    Football
  • Getty Getty
    an hour ago

    Kobbie Mainoo informs Man Utd of his wishes in meeting as club make feelings clear

    Mainoo made his intentions clear at a meeting on Thursday.

    Football
  • GettyGetty
    an hour ago

    Claude Makélélé names the two clubs that can stop Chelsea winning Champions League

    The Champions League winner backed the Premier League side to go far in the competition during an exclusive interview with SPORTbible.

    Football
  • GettyGetty
    2 hours ago

    Roy Keane calls out current England star for ‘diving’ during Premier League matches

    The Manchester United legend wasn't happy with one England player's recent behaviour in the Premier League.

    Football
  • Arrest made after Antoine Semenyo reports racist abuse as Merseyside Police release statement
  • Hannibal speaks out on incident involving Preston's Milutin Osmajic as Burnley release statement amid investigation
  • Supporters in disbelief after spotting what Tottenham fan did during game against Burnley
  • Kyle Walker opens up on Man City exit as he calls out former teammates in honest interview