Fans think Casemiro’s red card vs Crystal Palace should be overturned after new footage emerges
| Last updated
Casemiro was sent off in Saturday afternoon's clash between Manchester United and Crystal Palace, after being found guilty of violent conduct after a VAR check.
The 30-year-old midfielder was involved in a scuffle between both teams in the 66th minute, with his altercation with Palace midfielder Will Hughes being singled out particularly.
Tempers began to flare between both sets of players after Antony was sent into the advertising hoardings by Jeffrey Schlupp following a challenge for the ball.
After some pushing and shoving between the teams, Casemiro was found to have his hands around Hughes' neck amidst the chaos, resulting in Andre Marriner brandishing a straight red card to the Manchester United midfielder.
New footage recorded by a fan is circling on social media though, that seemingly shows the Casemiro situation to not look as bad as it does in the screenshots.
Manchester United fans were livid over the decision after seeing this video, as they feel the incident does not look as bad or violent as previously thought, and other players in the scuffle went unpunished for doing similar.
One fan commented: "Shocker. Doesn't look anyway near as bad or long when it isn't in slow motion. This has to be appealed."
Another said: "Doesn't look half as bad when it's not a freeze frame."
A third fan also said: "I mean, yeah, looking at this it's a ridiculous decision to send him off. He's holding Hughes back from getting involved in the fight!"
The suspension means Casemiro will be out for Manchester United's upcoming double header against Leeds and their home game against Leicester, which are all in the league.
This does mean though, that Casemiro will be back in time for the Carabao Cup Final, and that he will be eligible to play against Barcelona in the Europa League as the three game ban is only for domestic games.
Manchester United are yet to decide if they want to appeal the decision, as an unsuccessful appeal may result in the ban being extended to four games, ruling Casemiro out of the Carabao Cup Final.
The Brazilian midfielder has been a revelation this season at Old Trafford, slotting into the defensive midfield role seamlessly for the Red Devils and becoming the heartbeat of this rejuvenated United side.