• Football
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • Home
  • Football
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • Lionel Messi
    • Cristiano Ronaldo
    • EA FC 25
    • Wrexham
  • Boxing
    • Tyson Fury
    • Anthony Joshua
    • Oleksandr Usyk
    • Mike Tyson
    • Jake Paul
    • Logan Paul
  • UFC
    • Dana White
    • Conor McGregor
    • Khabib Nurmagomedov
    • Jon Jones
    • Paddy Pimblett
    • Joe Rogan
  • Other Sport
    • Athletics
    • Formula 1
    • MMA
    • Motorsport
    • NBA
    • Darts
    • NFL
    • Snooker
    • Wrestling
    • Tennis
    • Cricket
    • Golf
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • LADbible Group
  • LADbible
  • UNILAD
  • GAMINGbible
  • Tyla
  • UNILAD Tech
  • FOODbible
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Threads
Snapchat
TikTok
YouTube
Cristiano Ronaldo charged by the FA for slapping mobile phone out of teenage fan's hand

Home> Football

Updated 15:58 23 Sep 2022 GMT+1Published 15:34 23 Sep 2022 GMT+1

Cristiano Ronaldo charged by the FA for slapping mobile phone out of teenage fan's hand

The Manchester United star apologised for the incident, which took place at Old Trafford on April 9.

Rory O'Callaghan

Rory O'Callaghan

Manchester United star Cristiano Ronaldo has been charged with improper conduct by the Football Association.

It relates to an incident in April in which he appeared to slap a boy's phone out of his hand while heading down the tunnel at Old Trafford, following United's 1-0 defeat to Everton.

Footage of the incident was widely shared on social media alongside comments which claimed that Ronaldo had smashed the phone in anger while leaving the pitch.

The 37-year-old apologised for the "outburst" and was later cautioned by police in August.

The FA have now decided to charge the forward, who is currently away on international duty with Portugal.

Advert

"It is alleged that the forward's conduct after the final whistle was improper and/or violent," read a statement.

Manchester United issued their own statement confirming they would “support the player in his response to the charge".

Sarah Kelly, the mother of the boy involved, said her 14-year-old son, Jake Harding, had been left "bruised" and "in complete shock" by the incident.

Speaking to the Liverpool Echo at the time, Kelly said her son was autistic and "really upset" about what happened – claiming it had "completely put him off" attending another match.

Advert

Ronaldo later apologised on social media and invited the young supporter to watch another game at Old Trafford.

"It's never easy to deal with emotions in difficult moments such as the one we are facing," he wrote on Instagram.

"Nevertheless, we always have to be respectful, patient and set the example for all the youngsters who love the beautiful game.

Advert

"I would like to apologise for my outburst and, if possible, I would like to invite this supporter to watch a game at Old Trafford as a sign of fair-play and sportsmanship."

Ronaldo is currently away with Portugal as they prepare for their upcoming Nations League matches against Czech Republic on Saturday and Spain on Tuesday.

United return to action after the international break against rivals Manchester City at the Etihad on October 2.

SPORTbible Stories is the brand-new podcast from the SPORT team at LADbible. The latest episode features a chat with WWE legend Triple H who opens up on his long in-ring career, his rivalry with The Rock during WWE's Attitude Era and Logan Paul's fledgling wrestling career. You can watch the episode here.

Featured Image Credit: Twitter/@evertonhub

Topics: Cristiano Ronaldo, Manchester United, Football, Premier League, Everton, FA

Rory O'Callaghan
Rory O'Callaghan

Rory O'Callaghan is Editorial Lead at SPORTbible. He has previously worked for Sky Sports News, MailOnline and Reach covering football, cricket, boxing and MMA. Tested daily as a Liverpool fan in a Manchester office.

X

@rory_ocallaghan

Advert

Advert

Advert

Choose your content:

an hour ago
12 hours ago
13 hours ago
  • GettyGetty
    an hour ago

    Liverpool 'banned' Arsenal from signing player after writing clever clause into his contract

    The Premier League champions face Mikel Arteta's side at Anfield on Sunday.

    Football
  • GettyGetty
    an hour ago

    Man Utd rocked by Ruben Amorim news just hours after Burnley win

    United dramatically beat Burnley 3-2 on Saturday after Bruno Fernandes scored a stoppage-time winner

    Football
  • Getty ImagesGetty Images
    12 hours ago

    Nicolas Jackson's agent speaks out after Chelsea request transfer to Bayern Munich is cancelled

    Chelsea have asked Jackson to return to London.

    Football
  • Getty ImagesGetty Images
    13 hours ago

    Fan footage of 98th minute incident during Man Utd vs Burnley has become big talking point

    United picked up their first win of the season on Saturday.

    Football
  • Cristiano Ronaldo didn't hesitate when naming the 'best atmosphere' he's ever experienced
  • Steven Gerrard snubs Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi when naming three toughest opponents
  • Ivan Toney makes brutally honest Saudi Super Cup comment ahead of Cristiano Ronaldo clash
  • Cristiano Ronaldo could earn millions as Al Nassr 'put up for sale'