sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
"I saw him at the World Cup..." - Man Utd legend says he's not disappointed Gakpo joined Liverpool
Home>Football
Published 06:30 31 Dec 2022 GMT

"I saw him at the World Cup..." - Man Utd legend says he's not disappointed Gakpo joined Liverpool

Gakpo will officially join Liverpool on January 1.

Rory O'Callaghan

Rory O'Callaghan

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Gary Neville insists he is not disappointed that Cody Gakpo joined Liverpool instead of Manchester United.

Gakpo, 23, was linked with several Premier League clubs including the two north west rivals after impressing for the Netherlands at the World Cup in Qatar.

Arsenal were also reportedly interested in the PSV Eindhoven winger, who has scored 13 goals in all competitions for the Dutch club this season.

United were thought to be favourites to sign Gakpo but Liverpool announced on Wednesday that they had agreed a deal for the 23-year-old which will be completed when the transfer window opens on January 1.

Advert

Gakpo has signed a five-and-half-year contract with Liverpool, who are paying an initial £37m fee the winger which could rise to around £45m with potential add-ons.

Gakpo was in attendance at Anfield on Friday night as Liverpool beat Leicester 2-1 to move to within two points of the top four.

Neville: Man Utd don't need Gakpo

Speaking ahead of the match, Sky Sports pundit Neville claimed he is not disappointed that United failed to sign Gakpo.

"I think it fits the profile of what Liverpool have tried to sign in [Sadio] Mane, [Mohamed] Salah and [Diogo] Jota," Neville said.

"That kind of £40m bracket of signing, what Jurgen Klopp said over there we normally get good value out of our signings and improve them and that’s the most important thing, when he works with potential.

"[Darwin] Nunez is different in terms of the fee but we talked about that the other day, the raw attributes, speed, agility, willingness, great ethic and you work with Jurgen Klopp for two or three years he's developed players who have been good at others clubs, in Salah and Mane, into world-class players so he's coming to a club with a proven track record of that.

"In terms of the Manchester United side of things, I saw him at the World Cup I actually didn't think Manchester United did need [him], I know a lot of fans have been disappointed.

"But with [Marcus] Rashford, [Alejandro] Garnacho, [Jadon] Sancho, Antony... Jurgen Klopp said himself he's better off that left side, you can say [Anthony] Martial as well so from that rivalry, I think Liverpool do need him.

"I wasn't as disappointed as a United fan from watching in the World Cup because I thought he was a similar player to what they had."

Featured Image Credit: Alamy

Topics: Liverpool, Manchester United, Gary Neville, Premier League, Cody Gakpo, Transfers

Rory O'Callaghan
Rory O'Callaghan

Rory O'Callaghan is Editorial Lead at SPORTbible. He has previously worked for Sky Sports News, MailOnline and Reach covering football, cricket, boxing and MMA.

X

@rory_ocallaghan

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

an hour ago
2 hours ago
3 hours ago
  • Getty Images
    an hour ago

    Phil Foden and Cole Palmer to be left out of England's 26-man World Cup squad alongside three other big names

    Thomas Tuchel has made some big calls.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    2 hours ago

    Thomas Tuchel makes Kobbie Mainoo decision ahead of squad announcement as Adam Wharton spot 'in doubt'

    The England boss has been cutthroat in his squad, as one midfielder is set to miss out

    Football
  • Getty
    2 hours ago

    Next Southampton manager odds emerge as shock candidate linked with job after emergency meeting

    Tonda Eckert is under pressure to keep his job at Southampton after accepting responsibility over the spygate scandal.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    3 hours ago

    Harry Maguire left 'shocked' by England World Cup snub as Thomas Tuchel 'strongly considers' surprise call up

    Tuchel will name his 26-man England squad on Friday.

    Football
  • Liverpool prepared to kick unthinkable player out of club and replace him this summer
  • Gary Neville Names Forgotten Brazilian Legend as the 'Best I Played Against'
  • Gary Neville Does Something He's Never Done Before During Man City vs Liverpool
  • Liverpool 'Scouting' Player Who Only Joined Premier League Rival This Summer