sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Casemiro receives straight red card for a high challenge on Carlos Alcaraz, he was devastated
Home>Football
Updated 15:12 12 Mar 2023 GMTPublished 14:46 12 Mar 2023 GMT

Casemiro receives straight red card for a high challenge on Carlos Alcaraz, he was devastated

The Manchester United midfielder will now be suspended for four games.

Jack Kenmare

Jack Kenmare

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Manchester United midfielder Casemiro was shown a straight red card in Sunday's Premier League clash with Southampton after a high challenge on Carlos Alcaraz.

The 31-year-old Brazilian, who was also sent off in United's win over Crystal Palace last month, was dismissed in the 34th minute after his studs were raised when making a slide tackle.

After referee Anthony Taylor brandished a yellow card for the clumsy challenge, he was quickly advised to check the pitchside monitor, where he had no hesitation in overturning his initial decision.

Casemiro will now be suspended for four games after his second red of the season. He will miss Premier League games against Newcastle, Brentford, Everton and Nottingham Forest.

The Brazilian, who had never received a straight red in his club career before joining Manchester United in the summer, was distraught as he left the Old Trafford pitch in tears.

Advert

He will return to action on April 22 in their Premier League clash against Chelsea.

Here's how social media reacted to the red card challenge.

One fan said: "Conflicted over Casemiro red card. It’s a clumsy foul, bad connection of studs on shin, but a VAR overrule? Even Alcaraz seemed sad to see him go. Still, he can’t have too many complaints for way he tackled. Will be eight games suspended already in 2023."

A second wrote: "The referee has completely screwed us over. That Casemiro red was just about a yellow, the foot went above the ball because he WON the ball causing his foot to go above it. Potential to cost us the points today AND Top 4."

A third added: "VAR overturning that Casemiro red card but not Bella-Kotchap literally stopping the path of a cross with his arm is absolutely grim. Anthony Taylor is meant to be one of the experienced ones. Joker."

A fourth added: "United rely on Casemiro way too much to say a lot of his game revolves around not getting booked for challenges he probably should get booked for, it’s clear we need a backup in summer."

Thoughts on the decision? Did Casemiro deserve a red card?

Let us know in the comments.

Featured Image Credit: Premier League

Topics: Manchester United, Casemiro, Southampton, Premier League

Jack Kenmare
Jack Kenmare

Jack Kenmare is the Senior Journalist for SPORTbible, one of the world’s biggest social publishers. He specialises in long-form feature writing and has an encyclopedic knowledge of Football Manager wonderkids from 2005 to the present day. He has a BA (Hons) in Journalism and News Practice.

X

@jackkenmare_

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

23 mins ago
an hour ago
2 hours ago
  • Getty
    23 mins ago

    Liverpool consider U-turn to sack Arne Slot after Mo Salah comments, with FOUR replacements considered

    Liverpool hero Salah criticised the team's style of play after Aston Villa defeat, piling yet more pressure on Slot

    Football
  • Getty
    an hour ago

    23-year-old footballer speaks publicly after being stabbed seven times in Huntingdon train attack

    Jonathan Gjoshe was seriously injured in the knife attack in November 2025

    Football
  • Getty Images
    an hour ago

    Jose Mourinho has already identified his first major signing for Real Madrid and it would be huge

    Mourinho is on the verge of becoming Real Madrid manager for a second time.

    Football
  • Getty Images
    2 hours ago

    Casemiro's name is purposefully spelt wrong on the back of his Man Utd shirt

    The Brazilian says he is a superstitious person.

    Football
  • 'He was mistaken about me' - Casemiro finally addresses how he was treated by Ruben Amorim at Man Utd
  • Fan footage shows a devastated Casemiro in tears after straight red card vs Southampton
  • Elliot Anderson Shown Straight Red Card in Moment That Has Baffled Fans
  • Wayne Rooney admits he was 'devastated' by Man Utd transfer and claims he 'wanted to stay' at Old Trafford