Romano confirms Arsenal have submitted a £60m bid for midfield target as rival offer revealed
| Last updated
Arsenal have submitted a £60million bid for Moises Caicedo, according to Fabrizio Romano.
The Gunners are currently top of the league, some five points clear of last season’s champions Manchester City with a game in hand.
However Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta has been keen to add to his squad this January to bolster their title credentials.
The north London club have already brought in Brighton’s Leandro Trossard and Spezia’s Jakub Kiwior.
However, in his Wednesday press conference, Arteta insisted he was eager to sign midfield reinforcements before next Tuesday’s deadline.
Amid fresh injury concern for Mohamed Elneny, Arteta said: "We need some more cover in midfield, ideally, if we can. But this market is complicated. But as I always say, the most important thing is we get the performances and the time on the pitch with the players we already have on the pitch are really good."
Arsenal’s stunning bid for Caicedo
According to transfer guru Romano, Arsenal have placed a stunning £60million bid for Caicedo, who has also attracted interest from Premier League rivals Chelsea, Newcastle United and Liverpool.
Romano wrote in a tweet: “Arsenal have submitted £60m bid to sign Moises Caicedo as new midfielder #AFC
“Chelsea had £55m verbal proposal rejected this January as Brighton hope to keep the player — but Arsenal are now pushing.
“Negotiations enter into key stages for Caicedo’s future.”
The Times claimed earlier this week that Brighton had placed a £100million price tag on the Ecuador international.
The publication stressed that Chelsea's formal offer of £55million, which was promptly rejected by Brighton, would need to be almost doubled to see the central midfielder leave the Amex.
Ornstein claims Brighton have rejected Arsenal bid
The Athletic's David Ornstein has since claimed that Brighton have rebuffed Arsenal's £60million bid for Caicedo.
Brighton’s have allegedly insisted that the midfielder is not for sale in the January transfer window — and that this will not change.
Despite the Seagulls' stance, the league leaders reportedly remain interested in the youngster.
Caicedo focused on Brighton
Despite speculation surrounding his future, Caicedo insisted he was happy playing for a Brighton.
The 21-year-old, who was signed from Ecuador's Independiente del Valle in 2021, stressed that the Seagulls had "open doors" for him.
Speaking to the club website, Caicedo said: “I am focused on Brighton. I am here. I’m playing every day. Things from outside don’t trouble me nor does it take that focus away because I’m focused only on here.
“I handle (the speculation) well. You hear rumours here and there but I only try to be focused on the club where I am now, the club which opened the doors for me to be playing every week.”