sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Respected F1 journalist drops bombshell over Max Verstappen future after speaking to someone 'close' to Red Bull star
Home>F1
Updated 11:22 19 Apr 2025 GMT+1Published 11:20 19 Apr 2025 GMT+1

Respected F1 journalist drops bombshell over Max Verstappen future after speaking to someone 'close' to Red Bull star

The four-time F1 champion has been linked with a shock move away from the manufacturer this week.

Luke Davies

Luke Davies

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

A well-respected F1 journalist has revealed what he knows about Max Verstappen’s future after the Red Bull driver was linked with a shock move to another team.

Verstappen, 27, is aiming for his fifth consecutive F1 Drivers’ title this season and currently sits third in the standings – behind McLaren’s Lando Norris and Oscar Piastri - ahead of Sunday’s Saudi Arabian Grand Prix in Jeddah.

However, reports emerged earlier this week claiming that the Red Bull driver had been offered a lucrative contract to leave the manufacturer.

On Friday morning (April 18), Italian news outlet La Gazzetta reported that Verstappen is determined to leave Red Bull and could sign for Aston Martin in a deal which has been labelled as the richest contract in F1 history.

Advert

The offer is thought to be around the $300m mark, spread across a three-year period – it has also been claimed that the potential deal could be backed by Saudi Arabia.

When approached by SPORTbible for comment, Aston Martin issued the following statement: "It’s normal for the media to speculate on the driver market, but we have a fantastic driver line-up that we are committed to and who are under contract for 2026 and beyond.

"Our focus is on delivering for Lance and Fernando by giving them a more consistent and competitive car. When we do, they are both capable of delivering great results."

Max Verstappen has been linked with a move away from Red Bull (Credit:Getty)
Max Verstappen has been linked with a move away from Red Bull (Credit:Getty)

Red Bull team principal Christian Horner also addressed the media after FP1 on Friday, he said: “Noise is exactly the right word to describe it. There’s been a lot of noise outside of the team.

“Max reaffirmed his commitment yesterday. We are focused on making the car go faster; that’s where our focus is. Max is a part of that, he’s a committed member of the team. The rest is all speculation.”

It has also been suggested that Verstappen could take a year out in 2026, before returning to the track in 2027. This would allow him to assess the F1 landscape in the meantime before then picking a team for 2027 , according to reports by Andrew Benson, who has spoken to a member of his team, on the BBC’s Chequered Flag podcast.

“One of the most intriguing stories around Verstappen at the moment is that he could maybe take a sabbatical next year, just see how the rules go and then pick a team for 2027,” Benson said.

“That’s an idea that was mentioned to me without me even asking by someone quite close to Max Verstappen, so I wouldn’t rule that out as an idea either. I don’t know whether they’re just playing games of course, just to stir the pot a bit. But why not?”

Featured Image Credit: Getty

Topics: Formula 1, Max Verstappen, Red Bull Racing, Motorsport

Luke Davies
Luke Davies

Journalist with expertise covering football, cricket, boxing and MMA.

X

@lukedaviesmedia

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

24 days ago
  • SPORTbible
    24 days ago

    Formula E unveil game-changing new car that will have F1 looking over their shoulder

    The new car reaches 0-200kph in just 4.4 seconds, which is 1.5 seconds faster than its predecessor.

    F1
  • Getty
    24 days ago

    Christian Horner 'explores' moving to other sport after being blocked in F1

    Horner was sacked by Red Bull after 20 years in July 2025.

    F1
  • Getty
    24 days ago

    Fernando Alonso issues retirement update ahead of Miami Grand Prix

    The Aston Martin driver has spoken about his future after a torrid start to the season.

    F1
  • Getty
    24 days ago

    F1 have quietly removed controversial new rule that drivers and team bosses hated

    The small change is set to make an important difference in certain parts of each circuit.

    F1
  • Max Verstappen responds to F1 engine regs change after FIA announcement
  • F1 Expert Drops Max Verstappen Bombshell After Speaking to Red Bull Staff
  • Max Verstappen showcased super-human reflexes during scrap with sumo wrestler
  • 'He wants to' - Max Verstappen in talks over Le Mans 24 Hours entry on one condition