sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
F1 driver disqualified from Dutch Grand Prix over 'illegal' car
Home>F1
Updated 14:37 21 Nov 2024 GMTPublished 18:17 24 Aug 2024 GMT+1

F1 driver disqualified from Dutch Grand Prix over 'illegal' car

The Formula One driver has had his impressive qualification performance ruled out.

Ben McCrum

Ben McCrum

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

A Formula One driver has been disqualified from Dutch Grand Prix qualifying after stewards investigated his 'illegal' car.

After a nearly one month long summer break, Formula One returned this weekend as the Dutch Grand Prix is set to get underway in Zandvoort tomorrow afternoon.

McLaren's Lando Norris will start the race in pole position having completed the fastest lap in qualifying on Saturday, with Max Verstappen in second and Oscar Piastri in third.

But one driver has now lost the impressive spot he earned in qualification due to driving an 'illegal' car.

Advert

A statement from Formula One confirmed that Alex Albon has been disqualified after the FIA found that the floor on the car used in qualification was illegal.

The FIA have referred their findings to race stewards, who summoned Albon and a Williams team representative to a meeting.

In the FIA assessment given to the stewards, technical delegate Jo Bauer said: "After the qualifying session the aerodynamic component and bodywork areas were checked on car number 23.

“The floor body was found to lie outside the regulatory volume mentioned in Article 3.5.1 a)."

This legislation states that the floor and floor body of a Formula One car must lie within the regulatory volume floor-body.

The disqualification means that the Williams driver will miss out on the highly impressive eighth place he earned in Saturday's qualification session, and instead start the race at the back of the pack.

His performance in qualifying meant that he would have started the race ahead of several notable drivers including Lewis Hamilton, Lance Stroll and Carlos Sainz Jr.

Williams driver Alex Albon is facing disqualification having qualified in eighth for the Dutch Grand Prix. (Image: Getty)
Williams driver Alex Albon is facing disqualification having qualified in eighth for the Dutch Grand Prix. (Image: Getty)

"Unfortunately, Alex has been disqualified from Qualifying today due to his floor body being outside the regulatory volume set by the FIA. We are incredibly disappointed with this outcome and will be carrying out a thorough investigation and will provide an update soon," Williams said after the decision was released.

Albon's disqualification marks the second time in consecutive races that a car's legality has impacted a driver's race.

Last month at the Belgian Grand Prix, Mercedes driver George Russell had his race win wiped out following the race after it was found that his car was too light.

Instead, teammate Hamilton was handed his second victory in three races having also won at Silverstone three weeks prior.

Featured Image Credit: Getty

Topics: Formula 1

Ben McCrum
Ben McCrum

Ben is a sports journalist who specialises in football, Formula One and MMA. He has written for publications such as Manchester Evening News, WiganToday, Manchester World and beIN Sports. Throughout his career, he has interviewed top athletes including Gareth Southgate, Luke Littler, Tom Aspinall and Jenson Button.

X

@benmcc14

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

26 days ago
  • SPORTbible
    26 days ago

    Formula E unveil game-changing new car that will have F1 looking over their shoulder

    The new car reaches 0-200kph in just 4.4 seconds, which is 1.5 seconds faster than its predecessor.

    F1
  • Getty
    26 days ago

    Christian Horner 'explores' moving to other sport after being blocked in F1

    Horner was sacked by Red Bull after 20 years in July 2025.

    F1
  • Getty
    26 days ago

    Fernando Alonso issues retirement update ahead of Miami Grand Prix

    The Aston Martin driver has spoken about his future after a torrid start to the season.

    F1
  • Getty
    26 days ago

    F1 have quietly removed controversial new rule that drivers and team bosses hated

    The small change is set to make an important difference in certain parts of each circuit.

    F1
  • F1 driver confirms FBI investigation after Miami Grand Prix incident
  • F1 driver was disqualified from Grand Prix for being 'too slow' before quitting sport altogether
  • Former F1 driver disqualified and loses license during same race Max Verstappen competes in
  • F1 Team Announce Shock Driver Swap for Italian Grand Prix