Cameron Menzies speaks for first time since hand injury in heartbreaking interview

Home> Darts

Cameron Menzies speaks for first time since hand injury in heartbreaking interview

Menzies was taken to hospital after punching a table at the 2026 World Darts Championship.

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Cameron Menzies has spoken about making a "massive mistake" at the most recent World Darts Championship, which left him with no feeling in his fingers because of the damage it caused.

Back in December, just moments after suffering a first-round exit to debutant Charlie Manby, a frustrated Menzies punched a water table in anger before referee Kirk Bevans asked him to calm down.

The 36-year-old, from Ayrshire, appeared to immediately regret the outburst, holding his bloodied hand up toward the Alexandra Palace crowd as if to apologise for his actions.

Shortly after the incident, Menzies apologised and revealed that he had been grieving his uncle. “I am sorry that I reacted in the manner that I did,” Menzies said in a statement posted on social media.

“It’s not an excuse, but I have had a lot of things on my mind recently and I suppose it all just became too much at the end."

“It has not been an easy time for me with my uncle Gary passing away recently," he added. "I saw him four days before he died and he gave a look which told how much he thought of me. He treated me like a son."

Cameron Menzies suffered a deep cut after punching the water table. Image credit: Getty
Cameron Menzies suffered a deep cut after punching the water table. Image credit: Getty
Menzies walks off stage with the deep cut after punching the water stand in anger. Image credit: Getty
Menzies walks off stage with the deep cut after punching the water stand in anger. Image credit: Getty

Two months on from the incident and Menzies returned to the stage on Friday as he recorded a 6-4 win over Ritchie Edhouse at the inaugural Poland Darts Open.

Speaking in his post-match interview with Oche180, Menzies opened up about the World Championship incident as he showed his hand injury to the camera following surgery.

“It was finally good to play well but I’ve been struggling massively," he said.

“I’ll be honest with you, a few times I’ve felt like wrapping it. I’m just not in a good place that way. Obviously what happened at the Worlds, I’ve done a lot of damage to myself. Basically I’ve no feeling in my fingers anymore because of the damage I’ve done."

Menzies continued: “I couldn’t feel my fingers for six weeks. I had to go through surgery. I’ve still to go through hand treatment and trauma. I’ve made a massive mistake in my life. You can see the scar. I have to live with that.

“I was lucky it was not as bad as what it could have been. I’m not proud of it. I’m lucky I can still play because it could have been severed. So I had to see a hand specialist. No words could explain how I felt at that time."

He added: “I was stupid and I have to deal with it.”

Menzies also admitted that he thought about pulling out of the first Euro tour event of 2026.

“It was good to go and play well. It was good to win again because it’s been a tough year. These guys and girls are all great," he said in Krakow.

"I was so close to pulling out this weekend. I’m not enjoying it at the moment. That today has given me a bit of love back.

"I’ve hardly averaged over 75 this year. I’ve been struggling. I was nervous but good up there. But going for a double it was always hope than I’m hitting this. But as soon as that first dart went in, I was getting a 180. That’s the best I’ve ever played on the Euro Tour."

Menzies shows camera his hand injury. Image credit: Oche180/X
Menzies shows camera his hand injury. Image credit: Oche180/X

Menzies added: “I’ve still got a long way to go but good to play half decent again.”

Featured Image Credit: Oche180/X -

Topics: Darts, World Darts Championship