To make sure you never miss out on your favourite NEW stories, we're happy to send you some reminders

Click 'OK' then 'Allow' to enable notifications

Not now
OK
Advert

Pep Guardiola And Barcelona President Discuss Bernardo Silva's Manchester City Future

Published 
| Last updated 

Pep Guardiola And Barcelona President Discuss Bernardo Silva's Manchester City Future

Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola was asked about Bernardo Silva's future at the official announcement of his side's charity friendly meeting with Barcelona in August.

The Premier League champions will face off against Xavi's men to raise money in honour of Juan Carlos Unzue - former Barcelona player and assistant coach - and Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) awareness after the game could not be held last summer due to COVID-19 travel restrictions.

The past few weeks have seen Bernardo Silva dominate the headlines as Barcelona look to finance a potential swoop for the Portugal international, who has previously desired to take up a new challenge amid interest from across Europe.

Bernardo Silva and Rodri celebrate after City take the lead against Burnley (PA Images / Alamy)
Bernardo Silva and Rodri celebrate after City take the lead against Burnley (PA Images / Alamy)
Advert

The four-time Premier League champion was keen on leaving last summer but the financial restraints of the coronavirus pandemic meant a move to any of Europe's elite was off, despite interest from the likes of Atletico Madrid, Juventus and Real Madrid.

Silva did not let a failed move hang over his head and was one of Manchester City's best players last season as the Blues retained the Premier League title for the second time under Pep Guardiola and reached the Champions League semi-final.

With three years remaining on Silva's current contract at the Etihad Stadium, City have set an incredible asking price for the playmaker and appear unlikely to sanction a sale for the Portuguese unless he expresses a strong desire to leave.

Bernardo Silva has been linked with a switch to Barcelona in recent weeks (Image: MI News & Sport / Alamy)
Bernardo Silva has been linked with a switch to Barcelona in recent weeks (Image: MI News & Sport / Alamy)
Advert

It remains to be seen what the comings months hold for Barcelona and Bernardo Silva - for whom a potential move to the Camp Nou could hinge on whether Manchester United secure the arrival of Frenkie de Jong - which will boost the La Liga giants' chances of plotting a sensational bid for Silva.

Speaking at the announcement event of Barcelona's friendly clash with City in August on Monday, Pep Guardiola was quizzed about Bernardo Silva's future amid interest from his former club.

Pep Guardiola offers instructions to Bernardo Silva in Manchester City action (Image: Alamy)
Pep Guardiola offers instructions to Bernardo Silva in Manchester City action (Image: Alamy)

After stating he will bring his entire squad to the Camp Nou for the match - which will kick off at 20:00 [GMT] on Wednesday 24th August - Guardiola was asked whether Bernardo Silva will be part of the travelling squad by Barcelona president Joan Laporta.

Advert

The 51-year-old said, in a laughing tone: "Bernardo (Silva) and 10 more," as quoted by Samuel Marsden.

Bernardo Silva during Manchester City's title celebrations (Image: Alamy)
Bernardo Silva during Manchester City's title celebrations (Image: Alamy)

Guardiola, who signed Silva from AS Monaco for £43 million in 2017, added: "I think he (Silva) will continue with Manchester City.

"I have always said I don't want players that don't want to be with us.

Advert

"But Bernardo (Silva) is important and I think he will stay (at Manchester City)."

Silva was in sensational form for City last season (Image: Alamy)
Silva was in sensational form for City last season (Image: Alamy)

Manchester City have already signed Erling Haaland from Borussia Dortmund and are set to welcome Julian Alvarez from River Plate in the coming weeks before jetting off to the United States for pre-season next month.

Gabriel Jesus and Raheem Sterling have been heavily linked with exits and could decide to leave in search of guaranteed minutes.

Advert

However, Manchester City have done well to convince Bernardo Silva to stay for the last two years and will stand firm in their pursuit to keep hold of their star midfielder unless he is desperate to go and Barcelona are able to match their valuation of the Portuguese.

Featured Image Credit: News Images / Alamy

Topics: Manchester City, Premier League, Barcelona, La Liga, Pep Guardiola, Joan Laporta, Bernardo Silva

Vayam Lahoti
More like this
Advert
Advert
Advert

Chosen for YouChosen for You

Football

Man Utd now willing to listen to offers for Cristiano Ronaldo

14 minutes ago

Most Read StoriesMost Read

Darwin Nunez rinsed in brutal fail compilation after red card vs Crystal Palace

3 hours ago