Advert

Buster Douglas Wants Second Bout With Mike Tyson, 30 Years After Biggest Upset In Boxing History

Published 
| Last updated 

Buster Douglas Wants Second Bout With Mike Tyson, 30 Years After Biggest Upset In Boxing History

Buster Douglas wants a second bout with Mike Tyson after seeing him make his return to the ring against Roy Jones Jr last week.

Massive underdog Douglas beat a prime and undefeated Tyson in one of the biggest upsets in boxing history back in 1990 when he knocked him out in the tenth round to become WBC, WBA and IBF world heavyweight champion at the Tokyo Dome in Japan.

Tyson, aged 54, looked sharp and explosive as ever in his eight-round exhibition fight with fellow great Jones Jr at the Staples Center and has expressed his interest in competing again in special attraction bouts.

Loading…

Advert

And 60-year-old Douglas, who retired for a second time in 1999, is keen on mixing it up with 'Iron Mike' once again 30 years on from his greatest ever victory.

"Sure, I would welcome the opportunity," he told USA Today Sports.

"Being a prizefighter all those years and still feeling pretty good today, you always feel you got one more fight in you."

Asked why they never had a rematch back in the day, Douglas added: "I've been asked about it in casual conversation.

Advert

"They always ask, 'Why didn't you guys have a rematch?' It was just never presented really, as far as a rematch. It was often mentioned. That's about it.''"

Tyson has already been the subject of a host of call-outs. In fact, Evander Holyfield, the man who beat Douglas in his one and only title defence, has issued an official statement demanding for his long-time rival to sign on the dotted line.

Image: PA
Image: PA

The Real Deal, 58, said: "My side tried to make the fight happen and we got nothing but excuses. Now I can see why he wanted a tune-up fight before thinking about me.

Advert

"Roy Jones was a good local opponent for Mike.

"But a fight with me would be a global event and the only fight that anyone wants to see fight is between us.

"There is absolutely no reason why we shouldn't make it happen.

"No more excuses. This is the fight that must happen for both our legacies. Saturday night you said you were ready to fight me, so sign the contract and get in the ring, Tyson.

Advert

"The world is waiting and it's on you. I'm ready."

Holyfield, who beat Tyson twice - one of which was the infamous ear-biting scandal, is reportedly fighting former heavyweight and cruiserweight Glenn McCrory for Bare Knuckle Boxing at London's O2 Arena in April.

Topics: Mike Tyson, Boxing News, Roy Jones Jr, Boxing

Josh Lawless
More like this
Advert
Advert
Advert

Chosen for YouChosen for You

MMA

Jake Paul Releases 'Diss Track' That Savagely Takes Aim At Dana White, Conor McGregor And Jorge Masvidal

10 hours ago

Most Read StoriesMost Read

Football

First Gameplay Footage Of New Free-To-Play Football Game 'UFL' Has Dropped

15 hours ago