sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
The bizarre reason why Conor Benn has been cleared by WBC over failed drug test
Home>Boxing
Updated 19:16 22 Feb 2023 GMTPublished 18:48 22 Feb 2023 GMT

The bizarre reason why Conor Benn has been cleared by WBC over failed drug test

Conor Benn failed a drug test prior to his fight with Chris Eubank Jr

Marcus Chan

Marcus Chan

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

The bizarre reason behind Conor Benn’s failed drug test has been revealed after the World Boxing Council found no conclusive evidence in their investigation.

During the build of his fight with Chris Eubank Jr back in October, Benn failed a voluntary test carried out by the Voluntary Anti-Doping Association.

Benn tested positive for an ‘adverse analytical finding’ of the fertility drug clomiphene but has always denied any wrongdoing.

In December, the 26-year-old and his team handed a 270-page long report to the WBC in a bid to clear his name.

Advert

Benn also suggested that the substance may have entered his system from the amount of eggs he was consuming during his training camp in preparation for the Eubank Jr fight.

He told The Times last year he was eating around ’30 to 34’ a week.

On Wednesday, the WBC officially announced that there was no evidence that Benn took clomiphene intentionally, therefore, he is now back in the welterweight rankings.

A statement from the WBC read: “The WBC found that: (1) there was no conclusive evidence that Mr. Benn engaged in intentional or knowing ingestion of Clomiphene; (2) there were no failures in the procedures related to sample collection, sample analysis, or violations of Mr. Benn’s B Sample rights that would justify questioning or invalidating the Adverse Finding; and (3) Mr. Benn’s documented and highly-elevated consumption of eggs during the times relevant to the sample collection, raised a reasonable explanation for the Adverse Finding.

Image
Alamy

“The WBC Nutrition Committee will work with Mr. Benn’s team to design a nutrition program geared to avoid the risk of a future adverse finding caused by nutritional factors.

“Mr. Benn shall be subjected to regular anti-doping testing to monitor the effect of the WBC-ordered nutritional program.

“The WBC shall include Mr. Benn in its ratings during the period immediately following the issuance of its ruling. Mr. Benn’s position in the WBC Ratings shall be based solely on his merit and the customary factors the WBC Ratings Committee apply to rating boxers.”

Benn now faces investigation from the British Boxing Board of Control and UKAD and will not be able to fight in the UK during the process.

Featured Image Credit: Alamy

Topics: Boxing, Welterweight

Marcus Chan
Marcus Chan

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

4 mins ago
a day ago
2 days ago
  • Getty Images
    4 mins ago

    Tyson and Paris Fury's extraordinary wedding gift to Venezuela and new husband

    Tyson Fury and wife, Paris, set their 16-year-old daughter up for life with a wedding gift with husband Noah Price

    Boxing
  • Getty Images
    a day ago

    Why Venezuela Fury could be married aged 16 after Tyson's blessing

    The pair tied the knot during a lavish ceremony on Saturday, May 16.

    Boxing
  • Getty Images
    a day ago

    Tyson Fury gives emotional wedding speech after telling Venezuela 'not to do it'

    Tyson Fury has given an emotional wedding speech for his daughter Venezuela, after warning her 'not to do it'.

    Boxing
  • Getty Images
    2 days ago

    Paris Fury reveals why Tommy didn't attend Venezuela's wedding as Molly-Mae left alone

    Paris Fury has revealed why Tommy was not at Venezuela's wedding with Molly-Mae Hague.

    Boxing
  • Conor Benn in talks over world title bout against previously banned drug cheat
  • Eddie Hearn says Conor Benn refused fight at Premier League stadium as limitation claim made
  • Anthony Joshua picks side after Conor Benn splits with Eddie Hearn in bizarre post
  • Conor Benn labelled a 'pedestrian prizefighter' who 'got bigger by cheating' in humiliating takedown