sportbible homepage
sportbible homepage
  • Home
  • Football
    • Premier League
    • Champions League
    • World Cup
    • England
    • Transfer News
    • Manchester United
    • Liverpool
    • Arsenal
    • Real Madrid
    • Barcelona
  • Formula 1
    • Red Bull
    • Ferrari
    • McLaren
    • Mercedes
    • Max Verstappen
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Lando Norris
    • George Russell
    • Charles Leclerc
  • Boxing
  • UFC
  • More Sport
    • Tennis
    • Golf
    • NBA
    • NFL
    • Darts
    • Athletics
    • Rugby
    • Wrestling
  • Advertise
  • Terms
  • Privacy & Cookies
  • License Our Content
  • About Us & Contact
  • Jobs
  • Latest
  • Archive
  • Topics A-Z
  • Authors
Facebook
Instagram
X
Snapchat
TikTok
Threads
YouTube
Submit Your Content Here
  • GAMINGbible
  • LADbible Group
  • UNILAD
  • LADbible
  • Tyla
  • FOODbible
  • UNILAD Tech
Mike Tyson vs Jake Paul could be cancelled if 'Iron Mike' fails unusual tests
Home>Boxing>Boxing News
Updated 11:08 28 May 2024 GMT+1Published 11:09 28 May 2024 GMT+1

Mike Tyson vs Jake Paul could be cancelled if 'Iron Mike' fails unusual tests

Mike Tyson must pass an unusual test before facing Jake Paul.

Alex Brotherton

Alex Brotherton

google discoverFollow us on Google Discover

Mike Tyson's fight against Jake Paul could be cancelled if 'Iron Mike' fails some unusual tests.

Boxing legend Tyson and YouTuber-turned-fighter Paul are set to meet in an eagerly anticipated bout on July 20 at the AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas.

The fight will be a pro bout, Tyson's first since 2005 when he lost to Ireland's Kevin McBride, who now lives a very different life.

However, fresh doubts were cast over the fight after the 57-year-old suffered a medical emergency on a flight from Miami to Los Angeles on Sunday.

Advert

According to his representatives, Tyson became nauseous and dizzy due to an ulcer flare and received medical attention.

But he is now doing 'great', per his team.

"Thankfully Mr. Tyson is doing great," the boxer's representatives said. "He became nauseous and dizzy due to an ulcer flare up 30 minutes before landing. He is appreciative to the medical staff that were there to help him."

A source said: "Mike had some kind of medical emergency on the plane and paramedics boarded.

"Before the paramedics arrived the flight issued an announcement asking for a doctor - the message even came on everyone’s screens."

Given the age difference between the two fighters - Tyson will be 31 years older than 27-year-old Paul come fight night - there were already concerns about the former heavyweight world champion's health.

Mike Tyson and Jake Paul go head-to-head. Image: Getty
Mike Tyson and Jake Paul go head-to-head. Image: Getty

Even when taking the recent scare out of the equation, the fight will be cancelled if Tyson fails a health test written into the fight rules by the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation.

Speaking to USA Today Sports, TDLR communications manager Tela Mange explained that fighters over the age of 36 must submit favourable results from an electroencephalogram (EEG) and an electrocardiogram (EKG).

An EEG is used to evaluate brain disorders whilst an EKG is used to detect heart problems.

"We can also request additional testing if we think it’s appropriate," Mange said.

Though the fight will be classified as a pro bout, the two fighters will contest eight round of two minutes rather than three, and will wear 14-ounce gloves that are heavier than usual.

Featured Image Credit: Getty

Topics: Boxing, Mike Tyson, Jake Paul

Alex Brotherton
Alex Brotherton

Alex Brotherton is a journalist at SPORTbible. He has previously worked with publications including the Manchester Evening News, GOAL and BBC Sport. He is a football fanatic, but also dabbles in tennis and American football. He can often be found watching dreadful non-league football.

X

@alex_brotherton

Recommended reads

Thierry Henry picks player who will surprise everyone at World Cup – ‘There’s a guy people don’t know about...’GettyRonnie O’Sullivan says snooker star can win 'multiple world titles' and gives update on futureGetty'The only thing he can do is now is tar his career...' - Arnold Allen gives damning verdict on Conor McGregor's comebackGetty ImagesGareth Barry on Thomas Tuchel advice, England squad picks and World Cup: 'He’ll be fighting'Getty

Advert

Choose your content:

6 hours ago
a day ago
2 days ago
  • Candice Ward/Stringer/Getty
    6 hours ago

    Floyd Mayweather aims staggering $175 million lawsuit alleging fraud at former associates

    This is crazy.

    Boxing
  • Getty
    a day ago

    Tyson Fury vs Anthony Joshua date revealed by Eddie Hearn in latest update

    The fight continues to be pushed back as both fighters are preparing for their respective warm-ups

    Boxing
  • Getty Images
    2 days ago

    Venezuela Fury reacts to comments about £5million wedding gift package from parents Tyson and Paris

    Venezuela Fury has reacted to comments about the £5million wedding gift package from her parents Tyson and Paris.

    Boxing
  • Getty Images
    2 days ago

    John Fury leaks details of furious phone call with Eddie Hall that started Tommy feud

    John Fury has detailed the phone call he had with Eddie Hall that started his feud with Tommy.

    Boxing
  • Carl Froch makes huge claim about Mike Tyson vs Jake Paul contract details that would change everything
  • Mike Tyson made unusual rule request for Jake Paul fight that was approved by Texas Athletic Commission
  • Ex-world champion 'on standby' to replace Mike Tyson if he pulls out of Jake Paul fight
  • Mike Tyson says Jake Paul gave him an ‘erection’ in bizarre press conference answer