3 hours ago
4 hours ago

Most Popular

2 days ago

Super Eights Round Two Review

Super Eights Round Two Review

Images via Super League

After the first round of Super Eights action last week, it's fair to say we all got a bit excited about what to expect in the coming weeks. As round two commenced this week, there were even more thrilling ties to look forward to.



Widnes 0-38 Hull FC

In the first game of round two, Widnes were thrashed as Hull FC claimed a comprehensive win over the Vikings.

The away side needed to bounce back quickly after their round one defeat to Castleford, and they did it in style against Denis Betts' men, running in seven tries at the Select Security Stadium. Winger Fetuli Talanoa was the standout performer, claiming a hat-trick that included a flying finish in the corner. While Hull FC worked hard for their win, it was certainly helped by a poor display by Widnes, whose attacking play was littered with knock-ons and penalties.



St Helens 39-16 Catalan

St Helens secured a massive two points against Catalan in the race for the top four - a win which saw Keiron Cunningham's men climb four points clear of the Dragons in fourth.

Four from Swift as Saints smash CatalansFour from Swift as Saints smash Catalans

Adam Swift was the pick of the players, scoring four of his side's six tries as he terrorised the Dragons' left-hand-side, while team-mate Luke Walsh slotted six conversions and a drop goal to seal the win for the Saints. Dave Taylor opened the scoring for Laurent Frayssinous' men, before Jason Baitieri and Vincent Duport added further tries, but even two conversions from youngster Lucas Albert weren't enough to get the visitors back in the game.


Leigh 32-26 Salford

Leigh Centurions caused a stir in the Qualifiers by beating Super League's Salford at Leigh Sports Village on Saturday, the victory keeps them in second behind Leeds.

Both sides ran in six tries, but it was conversions which produced the result, with Leigh's Martyn Ridyard slotting six goals, while Gareth O'Brien could only manage three for the Red Devils. Salford had a number of tries disallowed, and while they were all fair calls by referee Chris Campbell, both Ian Watson and the Salford fans alike will be rueing their missed opportunities. There were some positives for the losers amid the round two loss; winger Mason Caton-Brown bagged a brace as he continued his recent stellar form, while there was also another score for Niall Evalds.


Huddersfield 62-16 Featherstone

Huddersfield secured their first win in the Qualifiers, beating Featherstone Rovers as they look to adjust to life in the Middle Eights.

After losing to Salford in round one, the Giants needed to get a win on the board in the Qualifiers, and they made their mark in round two with a resounding win over the Rovers. Rick Stone's men romped home with eleven tries, with Ollie Roberts, Ryan Brierley, Ukuma Ta'ai and Kyle Wood all claiming two of their own.

WORDS BY @JonnyWhit_LU

Topics: Rugby League, Super League


Next Up

Joe Hart Set To Leave Manchester City

Joe Hart Set To Leave Manchester City

4 years ago